Chapter Fifteen

Wong gave Stephen a confused look, but did what he said regardless. Stephen and Wong walked into one of the halls of the hospital. Stephen looked at the room numbers and sighed in the relief. They were on the right floor.

"You can stay here, if you want," he said. "I need to find someone."

Stephen sprinted down the hall, trying as hard as he could with magic to stop the bleeding. Rachael's blood was staining his clothes, but he didn't care. He was too focused on getting her help.

Why didn't I give her the Eye? he thought. It could have saved her.

Stephen burst into the critical ward. A woman with dirty blonde hair looked up in surprise, then she looked absolutely shocked.

"Stephen?" she breathed. "What's wrong with Rachael? What are you doing here?"

"Christine, help her! Please!" Stephen said desperately.

"Okay, okay!" Christine said, getting up. "Um, put her on that operating table there and get me the tools!"

Stephen did as Christine said. Christine washed her hands and put one gloves and a face mask. Stephen copied her actions, still crying slightly. After making sure everything was ready, Christine turned to Stephen.

"What happened to her?" she asked.

"It's hard to explain," Stephen said. "I don't even know if you would believe me."

"I need you to tell me," Christine said.

"She was hit by two powerful blasts of magic," Stephen said. Christine gave him a look, but didn't try to correct me.

"Alright," she said. "I'm going to need you to tell me what to do, because I don't know."

"Okay, um..." Stephen thought quickly on his feet. "First we should try to stop to stop the bleeding so she doesn't lose any more while we're operating. Turn her on her side. You put pressure on her back, while I put pressure on her stomach."

Christine turned Rachael on her side. She threw Stephen a towel, which he pressed to the wound on her stomach. Christine did the same thing with the wound on Rachael's back.

"Hold on, sweetheart, hold on," Stephen murmured. "You know how you said I was a fighter? Now I need you to be a fighter, okay? Please fight for me."

When the bleeding finally stopped, Christine told Stephen to move back so she could start hooking her up to medical equipment. Stephen looked down at his hands and saw they were shaking. He was confused. He didn't know if he was just terrified about Rachael or if he was having one of his episodes. The one thing he knew for certain, though, was that he couldn't operate on Rachael. He would have to let Christine do the work and just stand by.

"Okay, what should I do now?" Christine asked.

"Leave her on her side," Stephen said. "You'll need to, um...er, take her shirt off."

"Okay," Christine said. "Should I cut it off?"

"That would probably be better," Stephen said.

"Hand me the scissors," Christine commanded. Stephen did as she said. Christine used the scissors to cut the shirt of from the back.

"I'll stay at her back," Stephen said. "Go to her front and sit her up very carefully. Take the shirt off as gently as you can."

Christine did as Stephen said. Once Rachael's shirt was off, they took a look at her back and stomach. Blood was covering most of the skin on either side of her body, so they couldn't see where the cuts were.