Twenty Two

You thanked the waitress for bringing you your to go plates and quickly packed the food in.

"Gee Penny. You hardly even touched your food." Steve said with a sympathetic look.

You shrugged,"Wasn't very hungry."

"Still thinking about Bucky?"

"Amongst other things." You sighed,"I just.. I hope he's okay. Then there's all these court cases with Damien. They told me if I could testify against him with the domestic violence incidences there's a better chance of him getting put away and for longer."

"I'm sorry. You know I'd be more than happy to come with you to court. Be the supportive friend that I am." He joked with a smile.

You smiled,"I know. I just think that it's better if I do it alone."

"You don't have to. But I understand. If you ever change your mind-"

"I know." You gave him another smile.

After packing up the food you and Steve left the restaurant and went your separate ways.

You got into your car and headed back to your apartment.

Once inside you opened the door and placed your bag on the table.

You plopped down on the couch and switched on the television.

News from China, the winter soldier was spotted in Beijing today by a local citizen who quickly alerted the authorities. No known attacks have recently occurred under his doing but the solider is currently on Americas most wanted list and wanted for many horrible crimes including the attack on the S.H.I.E.L.D office late last year. He is put on the no fly list and may try to leave the county if you see him please contact authorities-"

The phone rang causing you to pull yourself away from the television.

You answered the phone but said nothing as you still focused on the screen in front of you.

"Are you watching?" You heard Steve's voice on the other end.

"Yes."

"I'm going to go to China, try to find him. Bring him back."

"Steve it's been almost four months. Maybe he doesn't want to come back."

"He isn't safe out there wandering on his own."

You sighed,"You can't protect him from everything."

"I can try. I'll call you if anything happens." He hung up and you placed the phone down.

After Bucky left you were devastated but you learned to live with it.

Well kinda.

You don't know what would happen if you saw him again.

Would he be different?

Would he still want you the way you still want him?

You didn't know, and that scared you.

Luckily it was Friday night, you could spend all night thinking and not have to worry about going to work in the morning.

You turned back on the tv and quickly changed it from the news.

You watched tv until you fell asleep.

A knock at the door woke you up.

It was nearly 4am.

You groaned and sat up rubbing your tired eyes.

There was more knocking so you got up and walked over.

Without looking you opened the door.

Bucky.

Your breath hitched as you saw him standing there.

Although it was dark you could tell it was him by his massive frame.

"I didn't know where to go." He said in his usual husky tone.

You stepped aside and let him in before turning on the lights.

You turned back to face him and your stomach lurched.

"Shit." You cursed under your breath and ran to your bathroom for a first aid kit.

When you returned Bucky was on the couch lying on his back clutching his stomach.

You rushed over and looked at the large blood stain on his shirt.

It was fresh.

"I'm going to need a look at it okay?"

He nodded and you pulled up his shirt.

There was a bullet wound.

You gasped.

"I got the bullet out myself but I couldn't close the hole." He informed.

"Okay.
You grabbed a pair of tweezers,"I'm going to make sure there aren't anymore fragments."

After you pulled a small bullet fragment out you began to stitch up the hole.

Bucky remained silent the whole time as if the pain didn't bother him.

After you finished you went to your room and grabbed a shirt he left behind.

You walked it over to him and helped him sit up and put the shirt on.

You grabbed the alcohol wipes and began cleaning the cuts he had on his face.

Bucky sat stiffly with his hands folded in his lap.

He didn't want to touch you.

Why not?

Did he still think he would hurt you?

You knew now that he wouldn't.

After you cleaned him up you took a seat next to him.

"I've missed you so much James."

He stayed silent.

"I'm not staying." He admitted.

Your heart dropped.

"I needed help. I knew you would help me. So I came here." He flatly said.

That hurt. He just used you? He had no intention of being with you. He just needed your help.

"I said I've missed you Bucky." You repeated.

"And I said I'm not staying."

"James." You firmly said.

"Penelope." He repeated mocking your tone.

How could he be so cold?

You took a deep shaky breath.

"Bucky. I want to be with you. Only you. There's no one I deserve more than you. I will do any and everything I need to, to get those things out of your head. I will spend my life trying to fix you. And I'll be happy the whole time as long as you're with me. Please don't leave me again Buck." You were crying now. "I won't be able to take it this time. Please don't go. Please."

Bucky pulled you into his chest by your hand and hugged you tightly as you cried into him.

"I won't go anywhere doll. Not without you."