Three

"Steve?" You asked in response.

"Yeah. I um. I know you're having a hard time right now but I have a question. How do you know if a person has been brainwashed? Like really know."

You sniffled and dried your tears. "Well it's kinda hard unless you really know the person. If they're a good person and they're doing something well..not so good that can be a sign. But there isn't really any physical evidence."

He was silent for a second.

"Steve. What are you really doing?" You asked not being able to keep your curiosity at bay anymore.

"Something dangerous. Look I should go but I may call you again if you dont mind."

"No, I don't mind at all."

"Great. Goodnight."

"Goodnight Captain Rogers." You hung up the phone and placed it on the nightstand.

It was now nearly 3am and you couldn't sleep.

You walked into the living room and cut on the tv.

You flipped through the channels before deciding on a documentary that would hopefully bore you to sleep.

Hours later you awoke to loud knocking on your door.

Sitting up on the couch you rubbed the sleep out of your eyes.

You let out a yawn and went to answer the door.

It was Damien.

He had a busted lip, tired eyes and his arm in a sling.

"Oh God." You gently pulled Damien into the apartment.

"Hey babe." He said with a forced smile.

"Are you okay?" You nervously asked.

He shrugged. "I will be."

"Did you guys find out who did this?"

"I'm not at liberty to say."

"Damien. We could've died. I think deserve to know something."

He shook his head,"Besides. You were safe. Rogers had a death grip on you."

You folded your arms,"You can't seriously be jealous right now."

He silently shrugged.

"He saved my life Damien. If it wasn't for him I could be dead." You narrowed your eyes at him.

"Yeah yeah."

You clenched your jaw and looked away.

Damien could really be a jerk sometimes. He also wasn't the best at controlling his anger. He would often lash out and say hurtful things so you bit your tongue to avoid that side of him.

You looked back at him to find him already staring at you.

It made you kinda uncomfortable.

You fidgeted,"What?"

He looked you over. "Nothing."

His phone rang and he answered.

You tried your best not to listen in on his call.

He stood up from the kitchen bar stool and looked back to you before putting the phone in his pocket.

"I have to go. We need to find the people who did this...well whoever's left anyway." He walked to the door and opened it and without a goodbye he left.

These last few months everything with Damien has been different. He's been more hostile and distant.

Working at S.H.I.E.L.D couldn't be an easy job but it just seemed to get harder for him.