III. King's Fancy

I gripped the Blackberry in my hand willing it to come to life in my palm. It's been an entire fucking day and Ambrose has yet to get back to me with the Intel on Ms. Lingerie. Usually when I make a request like this, I have my answers within the hour. Why so long with her? 

An unsettling feeling took a massive dump at the pit of my gut and was stinking up my whole mood. I would be a fool not to consider the possibility that she was placed there by one of  the many rival companies back  west. Going to such lengths would be quite a stretch for any company, no matter how much ill they carried for King Industries.

A knock came in at the door and Ambrose came in right after. His dirty blonde dreads pulled in a  neat ponytail. He hadn't been around the swamp long enough to have certifiable tan, but his pale skin had darkened a bit in the few months he's been down here. He wore his signature grey t shirt, dark denim jeans and boots.

He shook his head. "Mon Dieu Nathan," he said  my name with the French pronunciation. "You did not tell me King Industries had all this eye candy. I would have come here sooner. There be such a beautiful sea of women, I could get lost in all the splendor."

He was always saying weird shit like that. It's was just his way.

"Yes well, " I set the phone down on the desk. "We have some good looking women here. They come in on time, they are focused, and best of all they are great employees. Stay away from them."

"I don't know, that Maggie is such a pretty one to look at." He rubbed at his full beard. "She might be the future Mrs. Ambrose."

I was not surprised he took a liking to the Subdivision Manager, Maggie instantly. I always saw the two of them as the King and Queen of the south. Her with her Texas twang and him with his Louisiana drawl, they would hit it off just fine. I watched him patiently as he looked around at my office before taking a seat in one of the chairs across from my desk.

"Why are you only getting back to me now?" I quickly moved on to more pressing matters.

"Relax mon ami, we don't have to rush right into details right away." He crossed on leg over the other and reached his arms around his head clasping his hands together. "Vraiment curious to know why you so interested in such a woman. Not your type at all."

"I have a type?" I asked blandly. "I didn't even realize I had one, or that you knew exactly what type I was into."

"Come on now, who you think you talking to?" He said between chuckles. "Remember we went to high school and college together. I was the goddamn best man at your mockery of a wedding. So don't play like I don't know what you all about."

That wedding comment would have sent me into a blind rage no more than two years age. Now I had come to terms with the reality of what Emma and I had. Mockery was a perfect fit. I ate his comment and gave him a nod in agreement.

"Rich dark skin, really kicky coily dark black hair, full lips and hips." Ambrose shook his head. "Big eyes and a pretty smile. . . you just addicted to the brown sugar."

The man was right. I am not a prejudice man when it came to women. If she had a pretty face, an nice body, she was going to get hit on by me nine times out of ten. It was the way I was raised. Black women, they had a special place in my heart and just did it for me. They were my kryptonite and Savoie was endowed with them. "What you think she's just some fetish or something? What's your point man?" I wouldn't let the conversation get too far with him on the matter.

"My point is that she is not filthy rich. The femme, belle as she is, don't step outside her maison unless it absolutely necessary. She what you call a recluse." He went through his phone and handed it over to me when he found what he was looking for. "Something about this just feel wrong. Like I done crept in some sacred space."