Oh My Wolf

I don't know why I'm getting nervous as the day melts into night. I don't know why I'm pacing. I don't know why I'm repeatedly running my fingers through my hair. It's not as if I believe him. Because I don't. I believe he's so desperate to make me believe his lies. But to be honest I don't know what lengths he'll go to accomplish that. Will he hire out an actual wolf and set it loose? Highly doubtful. But the more I think about it, is it? Do I really know my father that well? I mean I know his name is Benjamin Storme, he's thirty six and he adores his heap of junk bike... he likes Led Zeppelin and Metallica and... That's all I know. I am shocked that I don't know more about the man. I have never met my grandparents, nor ever asked about them. He doesn't have a job, but I don't know where all the money comes from. Nor have I ever asked. Dammit, why haven't I asked him any of these questions? 

A little while later the door creaks open and Dads head pops through. He gives me a look. I turn back to the window I'm looking out of. The only thing that is illuminating the room is the dimming street light. My arms are crossed over my chest, hopefully giving off some vibe that I'm not to be fed bull. 

"Jett, please."

I don't even look at him. His hand is suddenly on my shoulder. "Jett." I shrug away from him and he sighs. Lifting the window open full way, he sighs again and looks at me, as if contemplating something. Then in one fluid motion he grasps my shoulders and pushes me out of the window. I don't even get time to scream out before I'm tumbling through the air. The only thing I notice is that I'm falling extremely slowly. By the time I near the ground I have time to land in a perfect crouch. 

That scares me. 

In a frantic motion I stand upright and spin around to look up at my Dad.

"You're a fucking lunatic!" I shout up at him. He shrugs and jumps, landing upright a pretty damn graceful. Unlike my flailing fail. He walks past me as I look at him in awe.

"How did you...?"

He just gives me a head motion to follow him. I watch where he's walking. Of course to the forest across from our house. The very ones he always told me to stay out of. He steps into the cluster of trees and I feel forced to follow him. With a groan I jog in after him. At first I don't see him, seeing as its pitch black. But then my eyes adjust and I can make out his figure a few feet away from me.

“Close your eyes, Jett.”

Again I feel forced to do so. So under his orders I shut them. “Listen to the sounds of the forest.”

“The only sound is you talking,” but I do as he asks. Only hearing the slight breeze and the crunch of leaves as a few forest animals scurry around. Wait what?

“Open your eyes, Jett,” Dads voice comes closer to me this time and when I open my eyes I see that he’s standing directly in front of me, but I can see him. I look around. I can see every little detail... even though it’s still dark. I look at him, confused.

“This can all be overwhelming at first, but you will come accustomed to our ways,” he tells me solemnly.

“Your ways? I’ve lived with you my whole life. I know your ways,” I reply with a hiss. He walks back a few steps and gives me a small smile before rubbing his hands together. What’s he going to do now? Pull a rabbit out of his ass? I wouldn’t be surprised at this point. But instead he throws himself onto the ground and makes this weird choking sound.

“Dad, you okay?”

His shirt rips at the back, exposing grey fur. Fur?! His face grows long and snaps into a muzzle. Seconds later a large grey wolf is standing in front of me. It takes a step forward, out of the shards of clothes. Oh my fucking God. There is a wolf in front of me. I gulp and step back. The wolf bares its teeth.