Chapter Four

Chapter Four

“Wait what?” I asked shocked. Not sure I had heard him right “What do you mean she is my sister?”

He sighed, I watched as he rubbed the temple on the side of his head “After you took off and wanted to be left alone, I started to think about how I had no idea that you had existed. It got me thinking that what if I had impregnated others? So I went and did some digging. I was happy to find that I hadn’t had any more children… until I tracked down a women I had been seeing, after your mother and I went separate ways.” He picked up his glass and took a long drink “I discovered that Celia , that was your sisters mother name. Had died in a house fire a few years ago.”

I started to have a sick feeling in my stomach at hearing she had died in a house fire. “And?” I asked when it was obvious he wasn’t going to continue. Could it be that he had strong feelings for this women who had died? But if that was the case why did he leave her?

“And well I didn’t think much of it, I mean it was tragic that she had died but that is just the way of human beings, so I was going to give up on the search, satisfied that I hadn’t had any more children. I went to the vacant lot, where the house once stood before it burnt down. When a women approached me and started telling me about how tragic it was that Celia had died.” He waved his hand in the air “I blocked out most of the womens ramblings until I heard her speak of a young girl. I asked her what she was talking about, what girl? She then went on to tell me that Celia’s daughter was also in the house. But she had manage to escape without a burn on her body. The women couldn’t tell me what had happened to the girl. So I asked Gabe to look into it for me.”

My stomach dropped at the sound of Gabe’s name. I hated that he still had such an effect on me. “So Gabe found her and brought her here?” I asked.

He nodded “She was living on the streets,”

I shook my head feeling sorry for the young girl who was my sister that I had never met. How terrible it must have been for her to lose her mother in the fire and to not have anywhere to go. “How did the fire start?” I asked, not really sure I wanted to know the answer.

“Humans and demons some time breed. It isn’t impossible for us to conceive with a human. Sometimes the offspring never knows who and what the father is, the human side is more dominant so the child doesn’t show any signs of being a demon, and in other cases the demon side is more dominant and they have some off our gifts. Your sister is in the second category. When she turned sixteen, she received her flame tattoo while sleeping. She was so scared that her hands burst into flames. Catching the house on fire.”

“Oh no” I said my heart hurting for her. “She must have been so scared when that happened.”

He nodded his head “Yes. When she figured out what was happening, that the house was on fire, she went to her mother’s room, but it was too late. Her mother was….. dead. Scared and upset she ran out of the house and didn’t return. Which is how she came to living on the street.”

“So where is she now? You said she wants to meet me?”

“Yes she does, and she is in her room. I thought that it be best that I tell you about her before I take you to see her.”

“Ok” I said standing up from my seat “Let’s go”

“There is one other thing that I think I should warn  you about before you see her”

“What?”

“Well you see” He said shifting in his seat “When Gabe first brought her here, she was very unhappy. She didn’t want to believe us when we explained to her what she is. I asked Gabe to spend time with her, and help her to adjust. Your sister seemed to calm down the more time he spent with her.”