Chapter One

Amazing Cover made by Abigail_Grimm

Chapter one

I walked down the narrow hallway, avoiding getting any dirt that was on the rocky walls on my clean clothes. I hadn’t been here before and despite the well written directions that I held in my hand I was sure that I was lost.

“Dammit” I cursed under my breath as I looked down at the map in my hand. I made sure that I had arrived here early not wanting to be late but looking at the map in my hand and knowing I had no clue where I was going I knew that it was going to be unavoidable, I was going to be late.

Reaching into my pants pocket I pulled out my mobile phone and scrolled through my contacts until it landed on the number I needed. Hitting the call button, I placed the phone on my ear and waited for it to ring. It hadn’t even rang once before it was picked up.

“You’re lost aren’t you?”

I sighed annoyed that he knew me so well “If you give me any crap because of this I will fry your ass until it’s crispy,” I threatened.

His soft chuckles on the other end of the line told me he didn’t take my threat seriously. “Do you want my help or not?” He said with humor in his voice.

I sighed again, he knew how much I wanted to do this on my own, and his obvious pleasure in knowing I needed his help was doing nothing for my now bad mood “Yes” I said through clenched teeth.

‘Ok hold on I will be there in a minute”

I disconnected the call, stood there, and waited for him, only seconds passed before he appeared in front of me. He took one look at where I was standing and frowned “How on earth did you manage to make your way here? This is the old torture chambers”

My eyes widened in shock “Seriously?” I asked  I looked around at the dirt covered walls and couldn’t see how this hallway was a torture chamber.

“Well obviously not exactly where we are standing, but if you would have kept walking you would have walked into a large room and I promise you that you wouldn’t have mistaken it for anything else”

I looked down at the map in my hand “So how do I get out of here?” I asked.

“You would have to walk back the way you came, but if you do that you will be late” He sighed and took hold of my hand “I will just do what I wanted to do in the first place and transport you there”

I looked at the person standing in front of me taking in his well-toned body before looking at his crystal blue eyes. Devan had walked into the bar I worked at months ago. The first few times he had visited he was relentless in asking me out on a date, When I tried to nudge his mind so he would leave me alone. I discovered he wasn’t human. At first, I was suspicious of him, thinking my father had sent him to convince me to return to hell. But as we spent more time together and he never once tried to convince me to go back to hell I let my guard down and we started to become friends. Devan is a middle rank demon, who enjoyed living like a human. He even had a job working as a firefighter at the local fire station. When I asked him why he chose that profession his answer was, “I am a demon who has an affinity for fire. It can’t hurt me, so what better way to use my gift. I get to play with fires and come out looking like a hero. The women just love that”

I couldn’t help but laugh at his answer, when I first learned of demons I assumed that they were all evil, and that Angels were the kind ones. It didn’t take me long to figure out that most demons where actually nicer than any Angel.

Shaking my head to bring me out of my thoughts I rolled my eyes at him and didn’t say anything, knowing that would be answer enough. It wasn’t long before I heard the familiar popping sound and felt as my body was pulled in different directions before hearing the popping noise once again.