People Change- Chapter 20

People Change

Chapter 20

                Elizabeth started her new job at the Ministry of Magic. The Minister of Magic, Kingsley Shacklebolt had created a new position for her. She was to be his assistant and undersecretary in muggle affairs. With Elizabeth’s connection to the muggle world she would accompany him on trips to visit the British Prime Minister and also help him in any muggle related problems. But first he required her to learn the different departments of the Ministry of Magic so that she would know more about what they do. So Minister Shacklebolt required her to spend at least two weeks in each department before she would begin her job as his assistant. Elizabeth was thrilled; she was getting hands on education in how the wizarding world operated.

                The first department Elizabeth was to work with that week was the Department of Magical Law Enforcement.  She was assigned a person from that department to show her around. The young woman’s name was Hermione Granger Weasley and she was only about three years older than Elizabeth. Elizabeth liked her immediately and found out that they both had a lot in common. Hermione had grown up with muggle parents and in the muggle world, so they both knew a lot about the muggle world. They both hit it off great and Hermione enjoyed showing Elizabeth around and explaining how things worked in that department.

                Later that day Elizabeth and Hermione took a break for lunch.

                “I still can’t believe you never attended a magical school, but yet the Minister of Magic is allowing you to work at the Ministry,” Hermione said amazed.

                “I know. But I’ve had a ton of muggle classes and a few diplomas. I am just grateful he is allowing me a chance to prove myself in the magic world. I missed out on so much growing up, not knowing about this world.”

                “But did you not get an owl to attend Hogwarts?” Hermione asked amazed.

                “If I did my parents didn’t tell me,” Elizabeth admitted, “I grew up in muggle private boarding schools until I started at the University in London. I guess my parents thought they were doing what was best.”

                “But how did you find out about our wizard world and did you know you had magical powers,” Hermione was looking at her intensely, truly interested in Elizabeth’s story.

                “Well, it is kind of a long story,” Elizabeth smiled, “Let’s just say that my life was changed by a handsome wizard when he saved me from nearly being run over. And now I don’t know how I could ever live without him, he is everything to me. He noticed my ability one night when I was working the coffee shop late one night and questioned me about it and that is how I realized I wasn’t a freak or something.”

                “How romantic,” Hermione smiled, “so you grew up a muggle and met a wizard and now the two of you are together?”

                “Yes,” Elizabeth spoke a little more but never mentioned Draco or the extent of their relationship. The reason was Draco’s divorce. It was already in all the wizard papers, especially the Daily Prophet and no one other than Kingsley Shacklebolt really knew about Elizabeth and Draco’s relationship.

                Elizabeth found out from Hermione that she had attended Hogwarts and was now married to one of her classmates and best friends, Ron Weasley, whose father worked in another department as did Ron. She had one child already, a little girl, and grinned widely as she announced that she was expecting another child even though she wasn’t showing yet. Elizabeth revealed her own pregnancy to Hermione, but asked her not to say anything to anyone right now. Hermione promised she would keep it to herself. The pregnancies brought them even closer together, especially since Hermione had already been through one pregnancy, so she told Elizabeth what to expect.