Heartbreak and Lies- Chapter 8

Heartbreak and Lies

Chapter 8

                The next three days were sheer bliss for Elizabeth. Draco treated her like a queen. The first morning when she woke up in his room he had room service waiting on her and she was starving. After breakfast Draco took her to a nearby wizard village and he helped her learn spells with her wand. They started with simple spells and it tickled Elizabeth that she was able to do them. And Draco was proud of her because she was a natural. He talked to her about the differences in the spells and the magical history of them. But when she asked him if there were any that should not be done he got real quiet and withdrawn. She had struck a nerve. He explained that there were certain spells that were forbidden but she did not need to worry about those because he would never teach them to her.

                It was getting late, so Draco apparated  both of them back to the room at the Leaky Cauldron. Elizabeth was getting used to it now and Draco was already teaching her how to apparate. “Why did it bother you so much when I asked you about forbidden spells?” Elizabeth spoke up.

                “They are not spells, but curses,” Draco said faintly, not looking at her.

                “Why did it bother you that I asked?” Elizabeth persisted.

                “It is just not something I wish to talk about,” he evaded her.

                “Draco, look at me,” Elizabeth came over to him and took his face in her hands, making him have to look down at her, “You can talk to me, you know,” she said softly, “I am here for you.”

                Draco looked back at her and he wanted to believe it so badly. He decided to tell Elizabeth about his past, because she was sure to find out about it sooner or later. “Sit down,” he told her, taking her hand and leading her over to sit on the settee in the bedroom. Draco sat beside her and took her hands in his, “Elizabeth, I have done some things in the past that I am not proud of,” and Draco began to tell her about himself at Hogwarts. He also explained about his parents and their pureblood mania and the Dark lord. He told of how he had become a death eater at the age of sixteen. He told of Harry Potter and all that he knew and had happened to him during Hogwarts. The only thing he left out was his marriage to Astoria. He still had to figure out how to tell her. “I did a lot of things that I wish I could take back. I was not a very nice person,” Draco finished, looking down, afraid of Elizabeth’s reaction, but she surprised him; she moved over closer to him and put her arms around Draco.

                “Draco, don’t be so hard on yourself,” she kissed his cheek softly. “You were only a boy, doing what your parents told you. The important thing is you learned from it and realized your mistakes. You are a good person no matter what you think,” she kissed his lips gently. She felt the tears on her lips and realized he was crying. It made her angry thinking about Draco being burdened with such terrible things caused by his parents and that evil Dark lord.

                Suddenly Elizabeth realized what time it was, “Oh my goodness, I have to get ready to work at the coffee shop,” she jumped up.

                Draco grabbed her hand, “Don’t go,” he whispered, pulling her into his lap, “I am very wealthy and you would never need anything. You don’t have to work ever again. Let me take care of you,” he begged, putting his arms around her.

                “That sounds nice, but I am obligated to work at the coffee shop. And I don’t want anyone to have to take care of me. I can take care of myself,” Elizabeth said proudly.