15

My phone rings over and over again only to be answered by his voicemail. I grown in annoyance and throw my phone onto the table. We were supposed to meet for a late breakfast but he hasn't shown up. I know I should leave, it's already been an hours since we were supposed to meet but I decided to wait a little longer.

I try to make excuses for him and my hearts saying he wouldn't ever flake on me but I head brings back all the times he ditched me. I frown at the memories of what it was like before and my heart breaks. He can't be going back to the old ways? He just can't.

Two days ago everything was perfect and now it's different. I can feel it when he talks to me. It's like he has to think before he speaks to me. And he always seems uncomfortable when I'm around. I try to think  of what I could've done to make him act this way. Did I say something? Did I do something? All these questions rush though my mind like a hurricane that I don't realize I'd been sitting there for another thirty minutes. The only reason I realize it is because Harry walks up to where I'm seated and clears his throat. My frown vanishes and I look up to see him, only to have the frown return to its place on my forehead.

He looks indecisive as of what to do but quickly takes a seat in front of me. "I-" he begins but I throw my phone in my bag and throw some cash on the table, hastily throwing the bag on my shoulder and walking away.

I hear him call my name multiple times and also him trip over the chairs, trying to catch up to me I assume.

I fling the door open and walk toward my car but he catches me just a few feet outside the building. "Wait," he breathes out. "Let me explain."

He jumps in front of me and grabs my shoulders forcing me to stop. I huff before smiling and in the calmest voice I can muster up I say, "It's okay. There's nothing to explain."

"Alex.." He sighs. I know he hates it when I get passive aggressive which is partly the reason I do it. The other is that it's just who I am.

"If you wanna explain something, go explain to the workers inside as to why the coffee I ordered for you is cold, untouched, sitting all alone at the table."

His eyes close and he looks completely disappointed. Not in me, but himself. "I'm sorry."

"Yeah." I pat his shoulder and begin walking to my car. I got so close to the car that I thought he was just gonna let me go but right as I reached for the door handle his large hand pressed against the car, stopping the door from moving.

"I just lost track of time. I'm sorry."

"I don't wanna sound dramatic, but you've been acting strange ever since you went that party and I wanna know why." My words come out firmly and for once, instead of second guessing myself I just went out and said it.

He just stared at me. I could tell he didn't want to answer but I waited. Probably longer than I should have before grunting and rolling my eyes, opening my door and getting in. He didn't try to stop me either. I think that's what hurt the most. He let me leave.

~~~

I laid on my bed, staring at the ceiling fan turn in circles while Iron & Wine played on my record player. Ever since I left Harry in parking lot the sadness I had just kept spreading through my body. He hasn't tried to call or text. A little part of me even expected him to show up here with some kind of explanation and a way to say sorry but the minutes slowly turned into hours and next thing I know it's 2 in the morning.

I turn off everything and lay in my bed, the silence filling the room. Even though I love this time of night, when everything silent, I feel the stress of everything weigh down and it makes it harder to breath. My eyes are heavy and I finally shut them, attempting to go to sleep.