Chapter 9

Tiana

I sit on the sidelines waiting on Richard to finish practice. I hate that the cheerleaders had to practice the same day. All these slim Jims and what not flaunting, trying to impress. I turn my attention back to my book as I drown out the sound of tackling, endless grunts, coach shouting, and the all too pep-ified cheer squad. I look at the book of my college course and shake my head as it goes through one ear and out the other. Like college has me on edge with these classes and exams.

I hear "now get your bum asses to the benches and drink up" and know it’s time to look up. I close my book and get up to meet my sweaty, tired boyfriend. I start walking only to see some cheerleader beat me there. I walk up as she hands him a Gatorade which shouldn't be a big deal but that's something I do. Richard takes it and just nods as she tries to make conversation. I stand right next to him and tap him.

He turns his head and smiles. "What’s up bae?" He bends down and captures me in a hug that makes me melt and I can see over my shoulder the girl has a fake smile.

Keeping the smile up so she doesn't get caught not smiling. Okayy.

"Hey, I was just coming to ask you-"

"Have we met before?" The girl interjects. I look at her as she does that fake "Don't I know you from somewhere" stance and look. I focus and take a step back as I remember who she was.

"Uhh...Yeah." I try to avoid the convo as my self-esteem starts to take a turn for the worst. Freshmen year, I mean she looked good but darnnit how am I going to compete with this!

"Yeah! We all met at the party freshmen year...just not a good time though right." I just nod as I look toward the sun and avoid any type of eye contact. She claps her hands together. "Well now that you are here, I guess it’s a great time to tell you. Coach recommended to the school board that head people should host all school events. I'm head cheer leader-" Oh no, don't let her say what I’m thinking... “Richard and I will be student council like buddies. We basically run everything. All the school events and parties and fundraises will be by us. But I'm guessing you already knew this since the coaches told me and Richard last week, right?" She smiles harder as my eyes widen and I look at Richard who sips on his Gatorade nervously.

"No, I didn't. Thanks for telling me...”

"Mackenzie Bright." Did I tell yall she was white? She looks back at her teammates and then told us she had to go but not without reminding Richard they had to meet next week. She ran off and I look at my feet, then my hands, and then at the sky.

"I will be in my dorm tonight. Haven’t been there in a while." I walk off without giving him a chance to talk. I just didn't have it in me for an argument with school on my shoulders. I walk to the sidelines and put my books back in my backpack recapping everything. I pull out my keys and phone to have right on me as I went to my car. I got to it, unlocked the doors and drove off toward my dorm building.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I sat in my spinning chair and spun around, not knowing what to do. I was done studying and was done with the whole season on Netflix of The Walking Dead. I stop spinning and regain my sight. I grab my phone and go on Vine, looking for a good laugh. Couple few "GO BIG LEXI", "BISH WHET?", "Yall Niggas Hiring", and "Crafts w/ Carl" later, someone knocks on my door. I look at what I'm wearing. My sweatpants with an oversized tee and my "Stompees". I look nice.

I walk up to the door and ask who is it. Its Richard. I roll my eyes and open it, letting him in. I sit back in my chair and look back at him as he nervously stood. I roll my eyes seeing he wasn't going to speak up first.