Chapter 7

Tiana Smith

     I sit and look at my fingers and play with my thumbs. I don't have the heart to look up at my family.

"Tiana Roger Smith. Look at me now." I raise my head slowly looking into my mothers eyes. Her emotions were filled with hurt, worry, and confusion.

"M'am?"

"Why didn't you tell anybody that you weren't feeling well? What is going on with you? You know ever since Alexis moved out, its like you have turned into a child depending on everyone." My head shoots back as the words leave my moms mouth.

"Okay ma. Your acting like you weren't there when Alexis said those hurtful things to me and no you didn't comfort me but instead went back to work and-"

"Well I am an adult Tiana and I have bills to pay and business to handle. I don't have time to baby and comfort a damn tenth grader." I shake my head at her.

"This is why I didn't want to tell you anything! Nobody is babying me if nobody is ever home. Alexis "supposedly" moved out while Devante is who knows where and your at that dumb A job trying to get away from your feelings. Don't TELL me who is being baby-ed when your nowhere to be found!" 

"Tiana you better loose that base out of your voice."

"Only if you loose this child mindset, ma." I cross my arms over my chest and roll my eyes. Im sitting in this hospital bed and yet she is bringing up bull. Just as my mom opens her mouth the doctor walks in with Chris trailing behind. I consciously pull up the sheet to cover my body a little more.

"Tiana, how are you doing?" The doctor sits down with a clipboard smiling at me. I shrug my shoulders not wanting to go into detail.

"Doctor she is perfectly fine. This was just some attention stunt that she is pulling since her father died not too long ago. I just need to know when she can be released." My mouth widens as she puts on this fake smile and act.

The doctor turns toward my mother with a smile. "With all due respect Mrs. Smith, this was no stunt. Going by her symptoms and how she came in by a nonfamily member worries us. Her levels were all low and going by the results we concluded that she ate only once a day. Our office thinks that maybe-"

"Hold up. I know my child ate way more than that now yall people here trying to make me look bad! Are you trying to imply that im an unfit parent?"

"Were not implying anything. We are saying that something is going on within your home and now the law is involved just to let you know. Cases like this are more heavily looked at and your case is one of them."

"Can I just talk to Chris." I ask looking everywhere but him. I hear shuffling and then the door closing. I look u and see him just looking at me with a straight face.

"What do we need to talk about? I heard it all from the doctors. What going on with you?"

I shake my eyes as I wipe my tears. " I lost my backbone. I lost the reason to fight anymore. To defend myself or throw up this act of being confident. My dad was the reason I was who I was but it  and without him..." I trail off not wanting to think about it anymore. Its like the death of him ruined our family. I swear cancer is so selfish! Taking a great man from his family. Chris takes my chin and looks in my eyes for a minute. not talking at all. I give him a confused look as he nods and smiles, making my insides warm.

"Naw, she still there." He leans on the wall still smiling.

"No she isn't. I told you that when I met you that she was gone and she is never coming back."

"Why are you so stubborn?"

"I'm not stubborn. Its the truth."

"Watch when you get out of here. I have made some arrangements and there is no doubting that you will be back to the Tiana I knew. That your dad knew." Chris walks back to the door and opens it telling everyone to come in before I have time to reply.

At Tiana's Home

So I got moved to the attic, which I wanted so long, because guess who is moving in demanded by government orders? Yes, the person who happen to save my life. Chris freaking Blackwell. He "pulled some strings" and made it seem like he was just so needed for my safety. He's my age and yet they allowed this? Basically, Chris got my room and I got to move to the attic like I have been wanting to for years.

I hear a knock at the door. I walk over and open the door and immediately roll my eyes.

"Why you gotta be like this Tater Tot."

"Devante, please leave. Your stinking up my room." I hold my nose as I look at my big brother. Going from the football star to a pothead in a matter of months.

"Whatever man. Why you being like this. What happened to my little sister?"

"What happened to my big brother?"

"I'm still the same old Devante but im just enjoying life a little more. Besides, nothing for you to be worrying about."

"Nothing for me to worry about? D, weed is illegal. You could lose your whole football career over this. No you are not the same D! Your not in this world anymore. We don't talk, we don't joke around, and we barely make eye contact because your eye are always so low. Surprised you haven't got caught yet." I sit down looking at him as he frowns and shakes his head.

"Whateva man. I'm out. You killing my high. Food on your desk." He walks out and slams the door. I put my head in my hands and slowly begin to cry.

This family is completely divided and apart.

We need dad.

And he is gone...

____________________________________________________________________________________

I have nothing more to say to my family. What is there to discuss between us? Its like we have fallen apart and there definitely no bringing us back together. What happened? Did I miss the memo that our happy family was done? I know we weren't perfect but DAMN! it wasn't like this! No matter what I do from now on , I will be seen as attention seeking so the best thing I can do is last in high school, graduate, and get the hell away from here...

___________________________________________________________________________________

HEADS UP NOW!!!

The next chapter will most def be in the future of her life. No more high school!

No goals but please still comment and vote.

The chapter is short because the next chapter will be as long as I can get it (Hopefully 5 pages) for you guys!