[48]

Cameron's POV

I knock on the door, waiting a moment to see if anyone answers. No-one does and I sigh, twisting the doorknob and walking inside.

The inside of the boy's locker room is the same as it's been since freshman year. The locker doors are all open, and half of them are broken and off their hinges. Clothes are scattered across the floor and I grimace, stepping over them on the way to the gym.

Our locker room has a door in the basement, and I usually use it to get into the gym. In sophomore year Jason accidentally locked me in the gym after indoor football practice, and ever since I've avoided entering the gym through the main entrance. I mean, that way I know that I have an unlocked door to leave with.

I push open the door and step into the gym, the sound of bouncing balls and yelling hitting me.

I sigh, walking over to where Mr. Sinclair is standing with crossed arms and his permanent scowl etched on his face.

"Hey Tom" I comment when he's close enough to hear me.

His head snaps up when he hears me and I big smile appears on his face. "Cameron!" He chuckles, patting me on the back once I reach him. "How are you?"

"I'm okay" I shrug, before nodding at the gym. "Training the new kids?"

"Yeah" he nods. "Tough stuff."

Tom's the school's sporting coach, mainly Football and Soccer. Since I've been on the team for four years, he's become a sort of father to me if you can call it that.

"They're so small" I comment, watching as the large group of about 30 freshman boys scramble for the football which someone dropped.

He glances where I'm looking and scowls, grabbing his whistle and blowing loudly into it. "BOYS WHAT ARE YOU DOING? YOU LOOK LIKE A BUNCH OF CHICKENS WITH YOUR HEADS CUT OFF."

I try to hold in a laugh, remembering my first practice in 9th grade. I was so scared that I almost peed my pants. In a manly way of course. I made the team of course, but It was nerve racking.

"They're so short" I comment, watching as they clumsily try and throw each other the ball.

Tom rolls his eyes. "You say that every time you come to practice. It's not their fault that they aren't tall like you were."

"I was not tall!"

He changes the subject, catching a flying ball and chucking it back at the frightened looking boy. "Did you come to the game?"

"Yeah" I nod. "Even though I still don't understand why I was benched."

"You hurt your back, mister" he lectures, "I wasn't about to let you play, no matter if it was the last game or not."

"That's not fair!"

"Life isn't fair."

I roll my eyes at the cliché saying, turning to watch one of the boys miraculously make a 'touchdown'.

"That was pretty good" I comment, watching as they all go to congratulate him.

"I would commend him; but seeing as it's the only touchdown they've made in the past hour, it's nothing for me to waste my time on."