xii.

Weeks had passed and Iris still alter unconscious in the schools hospital wing

Weeks had passed and Iris still alter unconscious in the schools hospital wing. Rumours spread through the castle, many stories coming into play, some saying that her sister had done this to her, some every saying James did this to her, but most knew it wasn't true.

The Slytherins behind the attack were suspended, and although that should have brought comfort to James, it didn't, it was lacklustre in the justice department.

In between meals and classes, James and the other Marauders would come and visit the girl, keeping her up to date.

Sometimes Lily would visit, but if that happened, James would leave, it physically hurt to be near her.

They never saw each other anyone, the relationship had died long ago, they were just too cowardly to admit it.

James knew where his feelings stood and Lily knew too, she wasn't an idiot, it was plain to see from a mile away.

After Remus had explained the plan to him, James hurt even more, knowing that if he had come to his senses, he would have realised sooner and saved the girl so much pain, the scars that littered her body, were going to lead to a painful aftermath, James knew that much.

The girl laid still everyday, and James knew that it wasn't one of the muggle fictional tales, where she could see and hear how he felt, he was the only one feeling the pain right in that moment.

All he could remember was the haunted look on her face when he found her laying in crimson snow. All he remembered was how her body shook as he held her, begging her to not leave him. It was all he could remember and it was killing him, it kept him awake at night.

The lack of sleep was clearly catching up on him, the golden boy of Hogwarts, had disheaviled hair and dark under eyes, that grew worse by the day, he looked like a ghost of his former self.

He was in the hospital wing again, his larger hand encircling Iris' smaller one. He stayed there for hours, even falling asleep with his hand still around hers, never wanting to let go.

___

A small hand grasped James shoulder, causing the boy to jump in fright. With a quick glance out the window he could tell it was late, looking at who grasped him, he noticed who it was, Lily. She looked no better for wear, she came to the realisation that her sister wouldn't have been in this space if she hadn't spilt that drink and just controlled her insecurities.

They moved away from Iris, letting the girl rest peacefully, Lily was trembling as her and James turned to face each other.

"What is it, Lily?" The boy said with a monotonous tone. It was evident, he was exhausted.

"How are you?" Lily asked hoarsely, her voice indicating she hadn't spoke in a while, "I've been worried about you, James." Lily stepped forward to run his arms but he stepped back, causing the girl to frown.

"It's not me that you need to be worried about, Lily." James voice sounded like ice, and he knew it, "Perhaps try caring for you sister, who is laying on her death bed?" The aggression in his tone was noticeable.

"I do care!" Lily insisted, her eyes watering, "I have been worried sick for her, in case you haven't noticed."

"No, I haven't noticed." James hissed, his fists clenched, "I've been in here every day and you come maybe twice a week."

"I've been busy," lily insisted, "James, please let's not fight, Iris wouldn't want that."

"You don't get to do that." James spat, wiping his tears away, "You don't get to walk in here and act like you know her better than anyone, you treated her like shit, Lily."

"You don't think that I know that, I regret it so much." The sister cried, shaking her head, "I have to live with that pain for the rest of my life!" Lily shook, wanting James to do desperately tell her that everything would be okay.

"Who's fault is that, huh?" James insisted, shaking his head at her, "No one told you to treat her that way, this is on you."

"I was jealous okay!" Lily admitted, rubbing her arms, "I could never be her and instead of accepting that, I hated her for it."

"Spite may of just costed you your sister's life," James cried, his head throbbing from the lack of sleep, "And if it isn't clear Lily, I can't be with you, not when you've done this."

"I know." The girl whimpered, "I'm sorry."

"I know you are, but that won't fix this." James said, turning away from her, heading for the strawberry blondes bed, "Goodbye Lily."

James had tears falling down his face, as he tried to wipe them away with his shirt sleeve, as he turned into where the girl's bed was.

"James?" A hoarse voice whimpered, and James gasped, when he realised it was Iris.

"I'll get Madam Pomfrey, love." James called, running to get the head of the hospital wing.

Once she had done her examination on Iris, James sat down beside her again, holding onto her hand like he had done for week.

"How long was i unconscious for?" The girl asked, taking a sip of water from the table beside her.

"Three weeks, love." James sighed, rubbing her hand with his thumb, "How are you feeling?"

"I don't feel really bad, if that's what you're asking." Iris mumbled, looking down at the scar that now covered her arms. "I feel pretty grateful to be alive." The girl added, smiling at James.

"I'm glad you're alive too." James mused, looking at her forest green eyes.

"James, I need to tell you something." Iris began, wanting to be honest with him about everything.

"If it's about the Remus thing, I already know, love, it's okay." James assured, looking at the floor.

"I'm sorry, James." Iris whimpered, "I didn't want to lie to you, but,-" The girl was cut off but James putting his hand over her mouth.

"You've got nothing to be sorry for, little flower," The boy smiled, wiping her tears with his thumb, "I'm the one who owes you an apology."

"For what?" Iris asked, her eyes wide.

"For not realised how incredibly in love with you I am a long time ago." He started, smiling affectionately, "I should have realised a long time ago, that you were it for me."

Iris sat up abruptly, causing her to wince in pain, "What did you just say?" The girl thought she was in a dream.

"I said that, I am in love with you, Iris." James laughed softly, the girl's reaction pulling at his heart strings.

"I,-" Iris began, words falling short. "I love you too."

James lent forward to hug her, but Iris grabbed the boy holding him at bay; causing him to frown at her.

"I need time, James." She started, "There is nothing more that I want than to be with you, but I need to take this slow, so much has changed between us." James nodded at the girl's words, embracing her lightly, not wanting to hurt her.

"I assume a kiss is out of the question then?" He frowned, but was surprised when the girl pressed a quick peck to his lips.

"All good things take time, Potter."