Chapter Two

(Merope's POV)

I opened my eyes.

Percy and Heracles were fighting. It was obvious who the better sword fighter was.

Percy got a few hits in, while still blocking any of his attempts. But then Heracles managed to somehow trip Percy, who slipped and fell down to the ground. Time seemed to slow down.

Heracles pushed down with his sword and it moved straight through Percy's heart.

Heracles eyes widened.

"Heracles, be warned," Percy whispered, glaring at Heracles with so much hate that I flinched, and it wasn't even directed at me. "You only won this because I was greatly weakened by Ladon's death. But if I ever see thou again, it will not be a happy ending for thee."

Heracles was trembling. He turned away and ran off as fast as he could.

Percy sighed and looked at me.

He reached up to me and gently touched my cheek.

"I love thee," Percy whispered. "You and only thee."

"But it's my fault thou are dying," I replied in a shaky voice.

"No," Percy said, his voice getting quieter by the second. "No, if I had spent more time with thou, thou never would have doubted my love for thee."

"But I betrayed thou," I said. "You are the god of loyalty."

"And the betrayed," Percy said, his voice getting even more quiet. "You only betrayed me because thou thought I had betrayed thee. Then Heracles betrayed thou. I do not blame thee. Do not blame thyself. Please."

I opened my mouth to speak.

"But---"

Percy put a figure on my lips.

"Merope," he whispered. He kissed me for a long time.

"If your sisters don't let thou stay," he said, "there's a group that my niece Artemis has, called the hunters of Artemis. She doesn't know I exist though. . . You will need a new name, but thou can join them."

"But don't they swear off love forever?" I asked. "What about when thou come back?"

Percy looked at me in the eyes sadly.

"The thing is, I might not come back," he whispered.

"Don't say that," I said. "Please don't say that."

"It's the truth," Percy said. "I might not return. But what should thine(sorry if I messed up with the old timey speach there) new name be?"

I thought for a second, then whispered, "Zoë Nightshade."

A small smile graced Percy's face. "I like it."

He coughed up some ichor.

"Goodbye, my love," he said. "Zoë Nightshade."

Then, as I watched, he slowly disappeared. I saw a flower.

His symbol of power.

What I named myself after.

A Nightshade.

A\N did I mess up the sad scene with the old timey speech?

~Shatter