Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

             “I can’t believe your brothers aren’t here to say good-bye,” Piper said as she hugged Melinda good-bye.

            Melinda pasted on her best fake smile. “They must be pretty busy with the… Oh my gosh.”

            Wyatt and Chris orbed in behind them. Their clothes covered in filth, blood streaming from open wounds, the boys simultaneously toppled to the floor. The family ran to their side while Paige and Hope healed them.

            “What happened to you?” Phoebe asked as the brothers were led over to the couch. Portia left the room to get them some water.

            “We went to the underworld to see if we could find out any information on the missing mermaids,” Wyatt said.

            “But we got attacked by some demons. They knocked us both out before we had a chance to fight back,” Chris explained.

            “When we woke up, we were in some dark cave in the underworld and chained to a wall,” Wyatt continued. “Chris used his power to undo the chains and then did the same to mine.”

            “The demons came back as soon as we were free. Wyatt vanquished two of them as soon as they came in and I handled the last one,” Chris said. “We were still too weak to orb so we had to stay there for a while to gain our strength.”

             “I’m so sorry. We would’ve called or gotten in contact, but there was no way for us to get word back to you,” Wyatt apologized.

            “Here you go,” Portia entered the room and handed Chris and Wyatt two glasses of water.

            “Thank you,” Chris replied. Wyatt nodded as he took a long swig.

            “Who were the demons that captured you? Do we need to worry about any of them coming back to kill us?” Hayley asked.

            “Nah, I don’t think so.” Chris said as he rubbed his still sore shoulder.

            “How can you be sure?” Melinda asked.

            “They’re all dead now,” Chris stated.

            Wyatt rolled his eyes at his younger brother. “Plus, it seemed like they were only looking to move up on the demon hierarchy.”

            “You should still look them up in the Book of Shadows to be safe,” Paige instructed. “Meanwhile, we have an airport to get to!”

            “You guys are still going?!” Patience asked.

            “Honey, you will all be fine.” Phoebe hugged her daughter. “Don’t worry. We wouldn’t be leaving you if we knew you weren’t going to be okay.”

            “We’re an orb away if you need us,” Paige added, hugging her own children.

            “Please be careful and take care of each other,” Piper said. Melinda smiled and hugged her dad.

            “Try not to get into too much trouble, Princess.” Leo said.

            Melinda laughed. “Me? Trouble? Never.”

            Leo jokingly shook his head and turned to his sons. “Take care of her while we’re gone.”

            The boys nodded. Pretty soon, the sisters and their husbands were heading out of their door and on their way to the airport.