Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

         Melinda’s eyes opened as the sunlight streamed into her bedroom. She smiled, but still had that uneasy feeling she had the night before. Shaking it off, she looked at the clock to find that it was eight a.m. Still needing to go to Magic School, she decided to get up and take a shower to start the day off. She went to go check on her brothers, first, to make sure they got back safely the night before.

            Both of their doors were still shut, so she decided it best not to risk waking them by opening the door. The house was very old and almost everything creaked and squeaked. Melinda felt much better knowing that her brothers were home safe and sound. She crept her way into the bathroom and took a nice, long relaxing shower. Her bones ached everywhere from everything that had happened the previous day so she let the hot water gently massage the knots in her back.

            When she got back to her room, she went through the normal routine of picking out an outfit: a red butterfly blouse that fitted her natural curves with black denim jeans and Moschino peep-toe grey high-heeled boots. She wore her long dark hair in loose curls. She wore minimal eye make-up, just mascara, and still looked beautiful. As she applied a light pink lip gloss, she quietly chanted a spell that would keep her make-up intact for the rest of the day. It might have been a little vain of her, but she couldn’t stand it when she came home at the end of the day to find that her make-up was all smeared and her lip gloss wasn’t even there. No matter what they tell you in commercials, there really is no make-up out there that stays on the entire day. And although witches weren’t allowed to use magic for personal gain, she didn’t figure this counted. A good-looking was a confident witch. And a witch that had confidence in herself was better at defeating evil.

            Once she was done getting ready, she wandered downstairs into the kitchen, with her purse in hand, to get something to eat before Portia arrived. Grabbing a box of cereal, she sat down at the island and poured some cheerios in a white bowl while thoughts consumed her.

            Melinda couldn’t figure out why a demon would want to capture mermaids. Sure, mermaids were immortal, like Chris had said, but there was no way that a demon could find a way to draw that magic out of them. Another thought occurred to her. What if a demon was kidnapping mermaids and then killing them? Melinda shook her head. That didn’t make any sense, either. Why would a demon want to kill a mermaid? Yes, demons were evil, but they usually had motives for doing something. What was the motive behind killing a mermaid? Was he or she doing it just for fun? But whoever was kidnapping these mermaids was very powerful. Powerful demons tend to have better motives for killing.

            To top it all off, there was nothing in the book about any of this. No mention of a demon powerful enough to make a vortex to suck mermaids in. No mention of the necklace that Peyton had found. Melinda sighed. She couldn’t put her finger on it, but something didn’t feel right about any of this. Too many things just didn’t add up.

            “Hey.” Melinda nearly jumped out of her seat before realizing it was her mother that had walked into the kitchen in her white robe.

            Piper laughed as she gave Melinda a kiss on the forehead. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to scare you.”

            “It’s fine.” Melinda said as she looked down at her bowl full of cereal.