Chapter Three

Chapter Three

             Melinda entered her room and looked at herself in the full length mirror that sat by her closet. She still had her red sports bra on, but one of the straps had been scorched by an oncoming energy ball. Her long wavy dark brown hair was still in a ponytail.

            Melinda sighed. Another sports bra was toast.

            A soft pink light appeared behind her. Her cousin, Peyton, appeared a moment later.

            “Hey, Mel.” Peyton said. Taking in the appearance of Melinda, Peyton gasped. “Oh my gosh, what happened to you?”

            “I was attacked by a demon earlier today.” Melinda said as she headed over to her closet.

            “Are you okay?” Peyton asked.

            “Yeah, I’m fine.” Melinda answered. “I’m just a little sore, but that could also be from my training.”

            “Did you vanquish him? Because if not, then I’ll go get my sisters and we’ll go after him together.”

            Melinda laughed. “Thanks for the offer, but he’s already in the wasteland.” Wasteland is where demons go once they’ve been killed. Mel’s Aunt Phoebe went there once (not because she was vanquished or a demon or anything) and she never wanted to go back.

            “Good.” Peyton said as she sat down on Melinda’s bed that sported a purple comforter, “So do you want to do something tonight? Maybe go to a club or get some dinner. Look for some boys.”

            “You’re always looking for boys.”

            “Hey, I’m half-cupid! What do you expect?” Peyton stated as Melinda changed into a silk robe.

            “I think I’m gonna stay in tonight. Take a bath and relax for a little while.” Melinda said as she grabbed some lavender candles. “Why don’t you ask Holly to go with you?”

            Holly, Peyton, and Melinda were the closest out of the nine cousins; they were practically sisters. Part of the reason they were so close was because their birthdays were only a month apart which meant that they practically went through the difficult trials of growing up together. Chris, Wyatt, and one of their other cousins, Henry were very close as well once again because of the age thing. The last set consisted of Portia, Hayley, and Patience who were practically inseparable.

            “I already did. She said she has to study for this big exam in business class she has tomorrow.” Peyton sighed.

           “Aren’t you in that class too?”

            “Yeah.”

            “And you aren’t going to study?”

            “No. Honestly, how much more business math do I need to know?  I want to be a counselor. Why do I need to know math for that?”

            “Because it’s your first year in college and you have to take standard courses.” Melinda answered.

            Peyton sighed. “Yeah, well, it sucks.”

            “Believe me, I know. I hate it too.” Melinda smiled. “Now scoot. I’m going to go take a nice long hot bath.”

            Peyton said good-bye and hearted out of the room. (Hearting: a cupid’s version of orbing).