Chapter Four - Skelly

Chapter Four          

  As she entered the library, she saw multiple people hiding behind couches, chairs, and bookshelves. A few students were even hurt and lying on the ground, not moving. Mel looked up and saw a skeleton flying around the room with a sword in one hand and shield in the other. He was tormenting another student when Mel flung him backwards into a bookcase with her power. A few books fell to the floor while the skeleton looked at her with glowing red eyes full of pure hatred. He flew straight to her and tried to stab her with his sword. Melinda ducked out of the way just in time. The skeleton circled back around and tried again. This time, though, Melinda was able to levitate, kick him directly in the ribs, and grab his sword before he could do anything else. She fell back to the floor, landing on her feet.

            Brody ran into the library, alongside her father. “What the hell is going on?!”

            “You’re a smart one,” the skeleton said, his voice almost sounding like nails on a chalkboard, as he talked to Melinda. He smirked and another sword appeared in his hand. “But let’s see if you have any skills.”

            He floated to the ground and drew his sword. He clashed it with hers and the duel was on. They moved swiftly around the library, Melinda always on her guard. She managed to move out of the way several times before he decapitated her.

            “I thought evil creatures weren’t allowed in Magic School!” Melinda yelled out to her father and Brody. Skelly (as Mel dubbed the skeleton) took that time to swipe his sword at her feet, but she quickly levitated out of the way.

            “They aren’t!” Leo yelled back.

            One of the students, Melvin, who had been hiding behind the couch walked over to him. Melinda knew him; he was a complete nerd who spent all of his time studying. He looked the part too with glasses, suspenders, and all. “This is my fault, sir.”

            Melvin told Leo and Brody how he had been reading a book about mythological creatures aloud to himself and accidentally said the spell that conjured him there. The skeleton’s name was Baykok who preyed on warriors, but summoning him here in present time had made Baykok think that they were all warriors because to Baykok, nobody else would be more powerful to summon him there.

            All the while, Mel was still dueling with Skelly (she preferred the name Skelly over Baykok) and was skillfully dodging out of the way of all his attacks as well as making a few offensive strikes herself. Although you can’t really do that much damage to a translucent skinned skeleton.

            “Whoaa!” Mel screamed as Skelly almost sliced the sword through her chest. She blocked it with her own sword in time. “What’s the spell to send him back?!” she called out to Melvin.

            Melvin looked down ashamedly, “I don’t know. I hadn’t gotten that far yet.”

            Melinda sighed. Of course he hadn’t. She levitated out of the way of another attack from Skelly.

            “Alright, you and I will go find the book and get the spell,” Leo ordered, “Brody, get all of the students out of here. Make sure that the ones that need healed go first.”

            Brody nodded and collected some of the uninjured students to help him get the battered kids out of there. Leo and Melvin went over to the table Melvin had been sitting at only to find there was no book there.

            “Where’s the book?” Leo asked.

            “I… I don’t know.. I left it right here!” Melvin said and looked underneath the table. “I don’t know where it went!”