Chapter Two

Chapter Two

            “Well, you didn’t respond to her call either.” A voice said.

            “I was protecting a charge! What’s your excuse?” another voice said. Everything was quiet for a few moments. “That’s what I thought.”

            “So what?! I was with a girl. So what if I actually got to go out and have a normal date? What’s so wrong with that?” the first voice asked.

            “Nothing, unless it means our little sister dying! And we both know how much you love to fight demons. Being normal was never a really big concern of your’s, Chris.” the second voice said.

            “Boys, be quiet. I don’t want the first thing she hears when she wakes up is you two fighting.” A woman scolded.

            “But he started it!” the two voices said at the same time.

            “Hey! Listen to your mother!” An older, more mature voice said. Everything was instantly silent again.

            “Mom..” Melinda groaned as she slowly opened her eyes. Her brothers and parents were all in the family room together. She was lying down on the couch.

            “Hi sweetie.” Piper answered her. She was sitting right beside Melinda. “Are you in any pain?”

            Melinda winced as she sat up. “A little bit, but it’s not too bad. What happened?"

            “We were hoping you could tell us.” Leo said, sitting in a chair directly across from Melinda, still wearing his black robe from Magic School.

            Melinda squinted, trying to remember what had happened earlier that day. “Chris and I were training in the basement and then he left to go find out what Mom was making for dinner.”

            “But I ended up going out and meeting up with that girl.” Chris interjected. Piper shot him a look, silently telling him to shut it.

            “It’s okay, honey, take your time. What happened next?” Piper asked her.

            “I was putting all the training equipment away when I felt like I wasn’t alone, so I turned around and a demon was standing there. He threw an energy ball at me, but I got out of the way in time. When I tried to call Wyatt and Chris, he got really angry and threw a bunch at me. I dodged most of them, but one sent me flying back into the wall which is when I hit my head.

            “The demon came closer to me, but I sent a sword flying through his chest. I tried calling you guys again,” Melinda said, turning to her brothers, “but I was really weak. I even tried to call the cousins, but my voice was so weak, it’s no surprise they didn’t hear me. And then I passed out.”

            Chris looked down guiltily. “I’m sorry I didn’t come when you called, but I honestly didn’t think anything bad had happened. I mean, I had just left a few minutes beforehand.”

            Melinda nodded. “It’s okay. I probably would’ve thought the same thing.” She touched her head again and noticed there was no blood on her hand as she pulled her arm back.

            Seeing the confused look on his daughter’s face, Leo explained. “Once Wyatt got back from his charge, he went into the basement to look for you and found you lying on the floor. He healed you and then called all of us.”

            “Oh. Thanks, Wyatt.” Wyatt nodded. “Mom, where were you when I was attacked? I thought you were just upstairs making dinner.”

            “I had to go to the store to get some sauce and other ingredients. When I came back, Wyatt was just bringing you out here.”

            “How long have I been out?” Melinda asked.

            “A few hours.” Wyatt answered.

            “If you’re hungry, I left some lasagna out for you.” Piper said. “You probably should eat something.”

            Melinda shook her head. “No thanks, I’m really not that hungry. I think I’m just gonna go up to my room and take a shower.”

            “Okay, but when you’re done, we need to talk more about the attack. Do you have any idea why this demon was after you?” Leo asked.

            “Well, I’m guessing by the way he was throwing energy balls at me, he wasn’t just stopping by for a visit.” Melinda said.

            Chris snorted and Wyatt elbowed him in the ribs.

            “What I mean is,” Leo said, ignoring the sarcastic comment - he had learned by now it was something all the Halliwells inherited -, “do you think he was after you to kill you or steal your powers?”

            “Definitely kill me. He didn’t seem interested in my powers at all; he was just interested in seeing me dead. But his aim was off in a lot of the energy balls he sent my way which made me think he was either having a bad day or he was a low-level demon.”

            “Low-level demons should know not to come here, though. It’s basically a suicide mission for them. Why did he think he was better than the dozens we’ve killed before?” Chris wondered out loud.

            Melinda shrugged. “He was pretty easy to vanquish too. If all I had to do was throw a sword at him, then he couldn’t have been very powerful.”

            “We’ll look him up in The Book of Shadows later. Right now, you should go take a bath and get some rest.” Piper said. Melinda nodded and gave her a mother a hug before going up to her bedroom.

___________________________________________________________________________

Picture of the Halliwell Manor off to the side.

____________________________________________________________________