Chapter 3

I stayed behind everybody as the boy that I assumed must be the leader.

"I'm Beau by the way." he said as he turned around to face me.

"Thanks." I said as he had us sit at a table.

"Why does this table have towels on it?" Max asked as he picked up one of the cloth place mats.

"Those are place mats, Max." Mack explained and she set it back down.

"I can help you make something." I told Beau looking up at him.

"Fine, follow me to the pantry. Jai! Watch the kids!" Beau yelled to Jai and I watched as one of the twins stood up. He had an eyebrow piercing and dark brown hair and his ears were pierced. Our eyes met and I stared into his light brown eyes before Beau pulled me away.

"You have a pantry?" I asked.

"Yeah, we eat food, not kids." Beau smirked and he opened a door exposing a whole room filled with food.

"Holy crap." I gasped as we walked in. I stared at the different foods lining the walls. I walked around still amazed at all the foods.

"You seem so shocked." he chuckled and I stared at the walls.

"I've eaten old pasta for most of my life. Pasta and bread. Any other food amazes me." I said my back to Beau as I looked at all the food.

"Let's make tacos then." he said and grabbed a taco making kit.

"I've never had a taco." I said as I stared at the box. 

"Never?" he asked and I shook my head as I stared at the box.

"I want one." I said and stared at the picture.

"Okay, I'll go make some meat and we can eat." Beau said with a laugh as he closed the door behind us. We walked back to the kitchen and I trailed behind Beau. I saw Jai sitting down by Marie, Mack, and Max. He was tapping his foot impatiently and when he saw Beau he stood up.

"Thank God you are back." Jai sighed and he patted Beau's shoulder. "That little boy is crazy." he said and then left.

"Max, what did you do?" I asked him and he looked at me.

"I want food." he pouted and I glared at him.

"What did I say about complaining?" I scolded Max. He looked down at his lap and stayed quiet.

"You tell him Mariah." Marie smiled and I laughed at her.

"Oh, Marie." I smiled and kissed her forehead.

"Hey, um, Mariah." I looked up and saw one of the boys staring at me.

"What?" I asked and I looked around for Max.

"Please get him off of me." I looked down and saw Max attached to his leg.

"Max, off. Now." I growled.

"But-" 

"Max." I growled and he got off and came running to me. "Why are you acting like this?" I asked him as I lifted him up.

"I miss mommy and daddy." he pouted and my eyes widened as I set him down and leaned against the table.

"Hey, you okay?" Beau asked me. 

I swallowed trying to clear my mind as I blinked rapidly. The memories came back at a rapid speed. The good and the bad. The fire. My birthday's. School. The park. Everything. My breathing quickened and I fell to the ground my eyes rapidly moving around the room.

"Mariah!" I heard Marie cry but I didn't care. There was one thing on my mind. One terrible thing.

They were still alive out there.