21. The Sleepover Cliché

in which, your "friend" is over

Plot Twist: *for an illicit sleepover

"THIS IS TOTALLY not working out for me."

"Shut the hell up!" I hissed, nudging him with my elbow harshly.

We were behind our couch, the white, dusty blanket draped over us, our bodies huddled together it would look like we're two little hills that appeared out of nowhere. You might be wondering how we ended up in this position. I'll explain, with much pleasure (note the fucking sarcasm over there).

The second we got out of the basement, we heard the bathroom door click open, light leaking out, and Percy and I panicked, heading straight to the kitchen.

"What the fuck!" Percy exclaimed then, making me clamp my hand down on his mouth

Going to the kitchen appeared to be a terrible mistake since my mother was there, half of her body obscured by our enormous fridge. The footsteps were getting closer, and my mother looked like she finally found what she was searching for, therefore prompting her to close the fridge.

Percy and I kept on looking at everywhere, searching for an escape. He pointed somewhere over the stairs, but my father was getting close. So I dove behind the couch just as my father stepped into view.

But I forgot to drag Percy with me.

So the idiot stuck to the wall like a fucking lizard, holding his breath as my father passed by him, completely oblivious to the human lizard just behind him. In a moment of quick impulse, he ran next to me just when my mother closed the fridge.

I prayed for my parents to just leave already. Instead they stayed in the kitchen and talked there, wondering if some cat got in. Percy— I didn't know what came over him; probably his drunken ass—unfolded the blanket he was holding and draped it over us like a goddamn tent.

"For camouflage," the idiot answered when I asked him what the blanket was for. And that answer was quite shitty since our couch was coffee-coloured and the living room walls were painted a dull yellow. So we were bound to be visible no matter what.

So now, this was where we are, behind our couch in the living room, with a stupid white blanket over us, making us look like snow-covered hills that appeared out of nowhere.

"What were you thinking?" I asked him, furiously whispering "This is no Cloak of Invisibility!"

"Have you checked... backyard...maybe...cat?" My mother's words were muffled and I could only understand bits and bits of them. Hopefully, that's enough. Footsteps were heard and I figured that my parents were probably gonna check some cat in the backyard, so I nudged Percy (hard) and he groaned just as I shushed him and said "That's our cue. Come on, let's go."

With a harsh tug on Percy's hair-which I found out was incredibly smooth and soft—wait, no—I stood and raced to the staircase, dragging his pillows along with me.

By the time we reached my room and closed the door behind me, we were breathing harshly in heavy breaths and shallow gasps. We looked at each other at the same time, him on the floor with his pillows hunched around him and me leaning against the door with my hands on my knees.

And then, his face broke into a bright smile that in contrast with our kitchen lights would seem better and brighter. I momentarily froze.