The Twins

Chapter 8

The jet dropped Steve and Abi just a little out from Dr Cho's building.

"Two minutes, stay close." Steve told Clint as they set off on foot towards the building.

They ran through into the lab and looked around. The staff were all dead on the ground. They went into the lab to see Dr Cho trying to sit up; her side was open and streaked red.

"Dr Cho!" Steve exclaimed and ran to her side as Abi checked the other side of the lab.

"He's uploading himself into the body." Cho told them.

"Where?" Abi asked.

Cho shook her head. "The real power is inside the cradle. The gem, its power is uncontainable. You can't just blow it up. You have to get the cradle too Stark." She warned.

"First, we have to find it." Steve said as he got to his feet; Abi was already out of the door.

"Did you guys copy that?" Abi asked over the comms.

"We did." Clint replied.

"I got a private jet taking off across town. No manifest." Nat said as she looked at the computer. "That could be him."

Clint saw a green truck out of the corner of his eye. "There. It's a truck from the lab. Right above you both. On the loop buy the bridge." He told the pair of super soldiers. "It's them. You got four with the cradle, one in the cab. I could take out the driver."

"Negative. That truck crashes, the gem could level the city." Abi responded. "We need to draw out Ultron."

As the truck drove under the bridge, Abi and Steve jumped and landed on the roof. Abi used her powers to steady them both. Steve hung over the edge near the back doors but Ultron blasted them open and Steve swung round with the door. Abi pushed him back but Ultron blasted the door off the top hinges. Abi went to try and catch him but one of the bots flew and grabbed her, taking her off the roof. Steve managed to land on the trailing door.

Abi heard something said over the comms but didn't catch it. She grabbed at the bot's neck and its wiring. It dropped her and she started falling straight down to earth. She caught herself and gently lowered to the ground. She caught her breath as the bot came back at her. She kicked it back before grabbing it with her powers and dismembering it. It crashed to the floor with no limbs. People moved out of the way as she walked up to it and put her foot through its metal head.

"Abi, could really use some help." Steve's voice came over the comms.

"On my way." She said as she ran around the corner. She stopped dead in her tracks as she saw the two people she least expected to see.

"Pietro, Wanda?" Abi muttered looking in shock at the twins. "You saw inside his head." She said turning to Wanda.

"He means to destroy us all." The Sokovian replied.

"I did try to warn you. You want to help?" Abi said. Pietro nodded slightly. "Follow me and try to keep up." She said as she patted him on the shoulder before taking off.

"Can you do that?" Pietro asked his sister. Wanda elbowed him and they set off after Abi.

Steve and Ultron had crashed into a train and were still fighting. Abi flew through and defected Ultron's shot at Steve.

"What took you so long?" Steve asked her as she helped him up.

"I found some help." She replied with a smirk.

Ultron came back at them but Pietro ran past and took Ultron down. Ultron turned to him but Wanda pulled the metal railings in the way. Ultron turned to Wanda.

"Please, don't do this." The robot begged her.

"What choice do we have?" Wanda said.

Ultron turned and fired at Pietro. Abi pushed him out of the way with her powers but the shot ripped through the driver's cabin and took out the brake and throttle. They were now all on a high speed train heading straight for the end of the tracks. Ultron flew out of the window.

"We lost him. He's headed your way." Steve warned Clint as he checked the driver.

The train went flying off the end of the tracks as Ultron grabbed Nat and flew off.

"Cap? Abi? Either of you got eyes on Nat?" Clint's voice came over the comms.

"If you have the package, get it too Stark!" Abi yelled over the roar of the train before turning to the twins. Steve and Clint continued to argue so she pulled out her comms.

"Pietro, get the civilians out of the way!" She screamed at the silver haired boy who quickly disappeared. She then turned to Wanda. "We've got to stop this thing!"

Wanda nodded and together they ran their powers down the length of the train. They pulled on the brakes as Pietro zipped to and fro in front of the train, moving people out of the way. Together they pulled the train to a halt. Steve let out a breath before running to Abi.

"You good?" He asked.

Abi glanced at Wanda with a smile. "Yep."

The three of them went outside to find Pietro leaning against a wall breathing heavily. Wanda went up to him but he waved her off.

"I'm fine." He said. "I just need to take a minute." He sat down on a box.

Steve walked over to them. "I'm very tempted not to give you one."

"Steve." Abi said as she stepped in front of them.

"The cradle? Did you get it?" Wanda asked in worry.

"Stark will take care of it." Steve replied.

Abi noticed as Pietro tensed. She put a hand on his shoulder. He looked up at her and calmed down.

"No he won't." Wanda replied.

"You don't know what you're talking about." Steve snapped at her.

"I think she does." Abi said looking into Wanda's mind.

"He will do anything to make things right?" Wanda said to Steve.

"Stark come in." Steve said into his comms walking away slightly.

"He'll come round." Abi muttered.

"How can you trust us?" Pietro said. "After all we did."

"The same way they all trust me after everything I did." Abi said glancing at Steve. "I know it wasn't your fault."

Steve walked back over and Wanda looked at him.

"Ultron can't tell the difference between saving the world and destroying it." Wanda told him. "Where do you think he gets that?"