An Unwanted Guest

Chapter 3

Abi had always disliked parties. She had no idea why she just did. As she walked into the one Tony was throwing she scanned the room and found very few people she actually knew. There was a bunch of old guys playing pool and lots of other people she didn't know walking around with drinks in their hands. Thor was talking another bunch of old guys; Bruce looked just as awkward as she did; Natasha and Rhodey were sat talking; Clint was talking to Dr Cho and Tony was talking to Maria. Abi spotted Sam and Steve playing pool so made a bee line for them; grabbing a drink from the bar on her way.

As she necked the drink Steve gave her a look. "What? Can't get drunk anymore remember." She told him before greeting Sam. She watched them play out their game before they started walking and talking.

"Sounds like a hell of a fight. Sorry I missed it." Sam said as they walked up some stairs to the second level.

"If we had known it was going to be a firefight, we absolutely would have called." Steve assured Sam.

"No, no. I'm not actually sorry. I'm just trying to sound tough." Sam said with a chuckle. "I'm very happy chasing cold leads on our missing persons case. Avenging is your world. Your world is crazy."

"Be it ever so humble." Steve said as the three of them stopped walking and leaned on the railing, looking over the party.

"Either of you find a place in Brooklyn yet?" Sam asked.

"I don't think either of us can afford a place in Brooklyn." Abi said with a smile.

"Well, home is home, you know?" Sam said.

Abi cast her eyes to the ground. For her home wouldn't be home until she had Bucky back.

Soon after Sam went to talk to someone else and Abi and Steve went to find Thor who had promised them some Asgardian spirits. Abi hoped that for once it could get them drunk.

One of the old guys from earlier walked over as Thor was pouring the twins a glass. "I gotta have me some of that." He said.

"No, no, no, no, no. See this... This was aged for a thousand years in the barrels built from the wreck of Grunhel's fleet." Thor said handing Abi and Steve a glass. "It was not meant for mortal men."

"Neither was Omaha beach, blondie." A different guy, who was wearing a WWII hat, said. "Stop trying to scare us. Come on."

Thor looked to Abi and Steve who both shrugged. Abi downed her glass and felt a familiar buzz enter her system.

Thor shrugged and poured a little in a glass. "All right."

None of the men could take it and Abi couldn't help laughing as some other guys escorted them out. She then walked and sat next to Bruce at the bar as Nat walked away.

"It's nice." She said snapping Bruce out of his thoughts.

"Wh-what is?" He stammered.

"You and Romanoff." She replied with s slight smile.

"No, we haven't... That wasn't..." Bruce started.

"It's okay." Abi said with a chuckle. "Nobody's breaking any bylaws. It's just she's not the most open person in the world. But with you she seems very relaxed. You're also forgetting the fact that I can see inside everyone's heads."

"No. Natasha, she's just... She likes to flirt." Bruce said.

Abi reached over the bar and grabbed a bottle of whiskey. "I've seen her flirt. This ain't that." Abi said as she walked up to him taking a swig from the bottle.