Street Life P3

So, Tia, I heard what happened. Sorry about your loss, for real."

"Oh, thanks, Charles," I replied, surprised by his genuine concern.

"Hey, but Mya, I need you to come with me to do that drop real quick, okay, baby?"

"I'm outside, alright. Oh, and you know what we're about, right?" Charles lifted his shirt to reveal a gun by his waist, making it clear that he expected my discretion.

"Yeah, I know. You know we don't do that snitching shit," I reassured him.

"Alright, just making sure," Charles said before giving Mya a kiss and leaving the house.

"Girl, you okay? You look a little shook up," Mya asked me when she noticed my expression.

"What the fuck do you think? Your boyfriend just showed me a gun like he was going to shoot me! He's just playing with you, girl," I replied, trying to calm down.

"Well, I don't play like that, Mya. And what happened to you? So, you're a street girl now?"

"Tia, those dreams we had when we were little, about coming up and making it out of the hood, were just a fairytale. Look around, this is the hood. Nobody makes it out alive. And now, two little black girls, you think we're going to make it out?"

"Two little black girls? So that's what we are now? That's what you think of us? How dare you say some stupid shit like that? I thought we were best friends, and we were going to make it together, do something positive, and make it out. Not doing this shit, Mya!"

"Well, Tia, I don't know what to tell you anymore. I've changed. I'm not that little girl you used to know, and in a minute, you'll hopefully see things the way I do. Hopefully," Mya responded, her tone cold.

"Charles honked the car outside. Alright, girl, we gotta go," Mya said, changing the subject abruptly.

"Who is 'we'? Me and you?"

"I hope you didn't think you were staying here. This is the hood. Somebody could break in here, rob, and shoot your ass down. Come on," Mya insisted.

I grabbed my things, thinking she was right. "Girl, what took you so long? Talking to Tia? And why the fuck are you bringing her for? I'm not going to leave my best friend in the house, Charles. You know me by now."

"Is it a problem that I'm in the car, Charles?" I asked.

"Bitch, shut the fuck up before I blast your ass," Charles snapped, startling me.

I sat up from my seat and said, "Do it."

Mya got in between us and said, "Stop it, you two. Charles, we've got business to take care of. And Tia, please, girl."

So, I sat back down in the seat, and he pulled off.

"That's the dude, Mya. Go talk to him. And here's the gun, just in case you need it. I'm about to hit up Mike and tell him we're on the way," Charles instructed.

I sat in the backseat, thinking about what I got myself into. Mya walked over to the guy and demanded the money. The man got scared and handed it over quickly. Charles drove off before I could see the man's face clearly.

"How much did he give you?" I asked Charles.

"30 thousand. Not bad. But I called Mike. He told us to call him when we're outside," Charles replied.

We pulled up to a building where the crackheads usually hung out. Charles parked the car and asked if I was okay. I nodded nervously as they went inside to do their business.