Don't Care Nomore Pt2

After getting off the phone with Mya that night, I couldn't shake off what she said about my mom. I went to my mother's room and started rummaging through her things. That's when I found a letter from her to me.

"Tia, I want you to know I love you very much. I've watched you grow into something beautiful, my baby girl. I just wish I could be here to watch you get married and have kids. But I'm writing you this letter because I want you to know that I have cancer, and I might not be here much longer. I really wish I would have told you, and I'm so sorry for that, baby. I really am. But I want you to know that I'll always be here for you, whether I'm here on Earth or in Heaven. I love you, from Mom."

I couldn't believe it. I wanted to be angry, but I knew I couldn't. There were so many things running through my mind that I just dropped to the floor and cried my eyes out. It was too much to take in.

I got in the car to go to the hospital to check where my mother was at. She was laying there looking so sick. I walked in, and she asked me if everything was okay. I hugged her and started crying. She asked what was wrong, and I pulled out the letter.

"Why didn't you tell me, Mom? Why?" I asked, feeling a mix of shock and sadness.

She looked shocked and started to feel bad. "Baby, I just couldn't. You were doing so well in school, and you were just happy in life."

"But, Mom, I love you. You know I do. Why hide something like this from me?"

"I know, baby. I love you too. I was just doing what I thought was best for you. But I see that was the wrong thing to do."

"How long do you have left?" I asked, my voice trembling.

"I only have a few days, baby, and they're keeping me here."

I couldn't take it anymore. "I'm not going to let you go, Mom. I'm just not. I'm sorry, Mom. I can't do it."

"Everything I said in that letter was true. I want you to know I'm always going to be here. Trust me."

So, I sat right next to her bed, holding her hand and gave her one last kiss goodnight. When I woke up, I felt her hands were so cold, and she had her eyes closed with a smile on her face. I started to scream, "Nooooo! Mom, wake up! Please wake up!"

The doctors rushed in to take her body. I got back in the car crying; I drove home people looking at me wondering what the hell was wrong with me. So, I had to call family members, and while I was on the phone, I saw a car pull up in the driveway. It was my dad. I dropped the phone and locked the doors.

"Anybody there?" he knocked.

I told him to leave now before I call the cops. He said, "Tia, can you please let me in, please?"

"No, I don't want you to be here. You weren't there when my mom raised me, so why now?"

"I'm sorry, Tia. I'm sorry."

I started to feel bad for a second, so I unlocked the door and let him in. It had been years since I'd seen him. He was tall and brownskin with nice hair.

"So, are you okay?" he asked.

"Do I look like I'm okay? Do I really look like I'm okay?"

"Look, I know things didn't work out between me and your mother, but I'm still your father."

I got so mad I wanted to punch him in the face. "Yeah, I know. You might not like this either, but somebody's going to have to watch out for you. So, I'm here if you need me."

"Do you have a place to stay?"

"I'm staying here. Mom gave me the house, and I'm 19, so I think I got it on my own."

"Okay, lil' miss boss now. Well, here's my number. I just moved up the block. If you need anything, I'm here for you, Tia. I'm sorry about all of this. I loved your mother too, just as you did. I just wish things were different between us. I really do."

He tried to give me a hug, and I pushed him away. Before he left out the door, he said, "I love you, Tia," and left.

I was so angry, didn't know what to do, so I called Mya.

"Ring, ring, ring!"

"Hey, girl, are you cool?"

"No, my mother passed away today. She had cancer, and nobody knew. Oh my God, Tia, I'm coming over in a minute. Hang in there, girl."

"Okay, thanks, Mya, for everything. You know I got your back."

"Yeah, I know. Bye."

Ten minutes later, I saw Mya get out of the car and rush to the door, banging. "Tia, are you okay? Let me in."

I answered the door, and she immediately hugged me. "Oh my God, girl, everything's going to be okay. Trust me."

Five hours later, Mya asked if I wanted to spend a couple of days at her house to get away from all of this.

"Yeah, why not?"

So, I packed my stuff and went over to her house, and Charles was there. I never liked him. At one point, Mya and I had dreams of getting out of the hood, but ever since she met Charles, he started changing my best friend and got her all into the street life.