Searching For Clues

Chapter 5

Carter and Sanchez worked endlessly all night searching for clues into Adam, Cross, and Adam's family.

Carter confronted Adam's uncle the next day at the café.

"Did you know your niece is missing, Marcus?" He asked him.

Marcus looked at Carter.

"Yeah, Detective Johnson told me she may be in some sort of trouble and I also heard a guy named Cross knows her." He said.

"Cross is a drug dealer and sex slaver and if he knows Adam, then we got a problem." Carter said.

"I agree, I did some digging of my own and was able to look up an old 'friend' of Adam's named Hannah Stone." Marcus said.

"How is she connected to her?" Carter asked.

"They were...involved when Adam was about 15 years old." Marcus said.

Carter sighed a bit and nodded.

"I see. What else did you learn?" Carter asked.

"Hannah may know where Adam went when she left your home." Marcus said.

"Are you willing to help me track her down?" Carter asked.

"Of course, I'm her bloody uncle for God's sake." Marcus said.

"I was hoping you'd say that." Carter said with a smile.

Back at the Metro Police Department, Sanchez walked in and saw Cross heading out and she grabbed him.

"Don't think you'll be getting off that easy, asshole. The Feds may not have enough on you, but I do." Sanchez said sharply.

"Give it your best shot, Detective." Cross said and walked out.

"Detective Sanchez, I was hoping to talk to you about Adam Robinson." McKane said as she walked over to her.

"Not until I get some coffee, Agent." Sanchez said as she walked over to the coffee machine.

"Detective Johnson filled me in on her, I know about Carter's notes and that he believes she's not linked to the murder of her parents." McKane said.

Sanchez sighed as she got her cup of coffee and sipped it.

"Tastes like shit, but it's good to have some." Sanchez said.

McKane cleared her throat.

"Detective, we really should talk." McKane said.

"Fine...start talking then." Sanchez said as she sat down at her desk.

In Lower Metro, Carter and Marcus met up with Hannah at a local shelter on the better side of town.

They both looked around for her and saw the shelter was almost full.

"Doesn't anyone ever take care of this part of the city?" Marcus asked.

"No." Carter said bluntly.

A woman walked over to them.

"May I help you, gentlemen?" She asked.

"Yes, we're looking for a girl named Hannah Stone." Marcus said.

"She's at the table in the corner, are you two family?" The woman asked.

"No, but we know a friend of hers that'd like to talk to her. I'm a Counsellor." Carter said.

"Oh, good. She needs one, the poor girl always sits alone and never talks to anyone else." The woman explained.

"Do you know what's wrong with her?" Marcus asked.