Seeking Answers

Chapter 2

The next day, Carter headed toward Metro Café to meet with Detective Serena Sanchez as she got reports and leads on the murder of Adam's parents and the mysterious death of their killers.

"Thanks for meeting me, Carter." She said.

"No problem, Serena. What's up?" He asked her.

"As you know, Adam went through hell as a child, her parents were arrested on multiple accounts of abuse, and how they got out of most of them is beyond me. I also got some information on their killers; it seems they were both stabbed repeatedly in the chest while her parents were both shot four times in the chest. The knife found at the scene was not covered with either victim's blood and both guns of course belong to the killers. So, I have no idea who killed their murderers." Serena explained.

Carter was a bit confused on this but was relieved that Adam was cleared of killing her parents' murderers.

"So, are you saying Adam didn't do it?" He asked.

"I'm still not sure on that, but it would make sense if she did. When a child sees their parents die in front of them, they will react in any way they see fit. They will either run or fight back." Serena said.

"I'm still doing a full profile on her, I have a feeling she didn't do it." Carter said.

"You always did have a soft heart for kids." Serena said with a smile.

"She's nearly a woman, Serena. I have to clear her name or she will be charged as an adult." Carter explained.

Serena sighed and leaned back in her chair.

"Then you better act fast, the judge wants answers and our time is running short." She said.

Carter made it back to his place; he sat down in the living room on the couch while Adam sat in the chair from across.

"Adam, can you remember anything about your parents' murderers?" Carter asked her.

Adam rocked back and forth in the chair as she tried to think, she tugged at her hair gently and sighed in frustration.

"I can't...remember. Damn it!" She said in anger.

Adam pushed a bowl off the coffee table in front of her as she stood up and swung her arms around in anger.

"Shit...Shit...why can't I remember?"

She screamed out loud.

Carter stood up and looked at her as he approached.

"Adam...you have to calm down. This isn't helping anything." He said calmly to her.

Adam pushed him away from her.

"Screw you! Stop trying to get into my head! I don't like it when people do that." Adam said in anger.

"I'm just trying to help you, Adam. Take a deep breath and just try to remember anything you can." Carter said softly.

"Why do you care? Why are you trying to make me remember things I can't? My parents are dead and I'm glad!" Adam said.

"Don't say that, Adam. First off, you don't mean it and second, it makes you sound guilty." Carter said.

Adam sat back down in the chair and cried.

Carter walked over to her, kneeled down in front of her, and held her hands.

"Adam...I don't want you to go to prison for something I know you didn't do." He said.

Adam looked at Carter as tears streamed down her face and her black eyeliner smeared.

"I really don't remember...they were just dead. All of them." She said softly.

"Alright...it's okay. We'll get through this." Carter said as he patted her hands gently.

Adam smiled a bit and looked at her hands to see his on them.

"Thank you...Carter." She said as she looked at him.

He smiled at her and nodded.

"You're welcome. I'm going to help you." He said.

Adam hugged him and Carter cleared his throat gently and patted her back softly.

Later on in the afternoon, Carter was in his office updating his notes on Adam's progress.

Adam seems to be very short-tempered; she doesn't like being pressured and becomes a bit violent.

That doesn't make it look good if she loses her temper in front of Sanchez.

I was able to get her to open up more; she smiled for the first time and showed a softer side of herself.

She is so lost inside, hurting and scarred by her past.

Every time she tells me she's glad her parents are dead, I can see in her eyes she doesn't mean it.

She is upset about their deaths, even if she doesn't show it.

They were still her parents; even if they were horrible to her...she still loved them.

Carter saved his work and sat there for a moment to reflect on what went on.

He felt something for Adam...but what?

Pity?

Sorrow?

All he knew was he's not giving up on her.