Reaching Out

Chapter 3

The next day was different; Adam woke up with a cheerful look upon her face.

Carter watched her as she walked over to the fridge, took the jug of milk out, and poured herself a glass before putting it back.

"Good morning, Adam." He said to her.

She looked at him.

"Morning..." She said softly and drank her milk.

"Did you sleep well last night? Any nightmares like before?" Carter asked.

"Some, but I'm fine." Adam said and sat down on the couch.

She was wearing a small black sleeveless shirt with blue jeans.

Carter noticed her hair was fixed to her shoulders and combed.

"Do you want to continue our conversation from last night?" He asked.

"I want to go out." She said as she looked at him.

"Alright, but I'm afraid I have to make sure you put your bracelet on. It's just for security reasons." Carter said.

"Fine." She said with a sigh.

Adam was still a suspect in the murder case and had to wear a bracelet as if she was on house arrest.

But, she was allowed to leave...just not Carter's side.

The city was busy in the mornings, people heading for work, and shops were opening for business.

Adam looked around at the buildings and skyscrapers

"So, what made you want to see the world?" Carter asked her.

"I don't know, I just didn't want to stay indoors anymore. Sleeping at the shelter is okay and all; I just want to get out for once instead of heading from there to your house for our little sessions." Adam explained.

Carter's cell phone rang and he took it out from his coat pocket.

"Carter...Yeah, she's right here. Alright, we're on our way." Carter said and hung up his phone as he put it back in his pocket.

"Who was that? Your girlfriend?" Adam asked.

Carter smirked.

"That was Detective Sanchez; she wants to see you and me and see how you're progressing." Carter said.

"A cop wants to know how I'm doing? Wow, that's a first." Adam said.

Later at the Metro Police Department, Carter walked in with Adam and saw Detective Johnson walk over to them.

"I take it you're the guy on babysitting duty. I'm Chris Johnson; Sanchez is waiting for you at her desk." Johnson said.

"Thanks, are you new here?" Carter asked.

"Yeah, I transferred from the NYPD." Johnson said.

"Babysitting duty? I'm not a kid, you bastard." Adam mumbled.

"You'll have to excuse her..." Carter said.

"No problem, she's been through a lot and I can understand her anger." Johnson said and walked off.

"I'll show you anger..." Adam mumbled.

"Be nice." Carter whispered.

They walked over to Sanchez's desk and she stood up.

"Carter, glad you could come. It's good to see you, Adam." Sanchez said.

Adam looked at her.

"She's the quiet type." Carter said.