Consequences

Chapter 4

As time was running short, Carter had to get real serious with Adam now, it was time for them to have a long chat and to figure out her parents' drug past.

Adam sat there in the chair in the living room, she was a bit nervous as she saw the serious look on Carter's face.

"Um...you look kind of pissed." She said.

Carter sighed a bit.

"I'm being pressured, Adam, because a lot of people want answers for what happened. The media, the cops, and the courts." Carter explained.

"Are you pissed, though?" Adam asked.

"I am a little, Adam because we have to get serious about what happened." Carter said.

"I told you, I don't remember." Adam said.

"It's time to start remembering, I don't want them to take you to prison." Carter said.

Adam looked at him.

"You care about me, don't you?" She asked.

"Of course I do, I'm your Guardian and I'm supposed to make sure you're safe, alive, and healthy." Carter said.

"Wow, I didn't know I meant so much to you." Adam said.

"Adam, we need to focus and I need to know about the drug connections your parents had when you were a child." Carter said.

"You expect me to know that? I was a kid! It's not like I asked them for their resumes." Adam said.

"I have some files on your parents and they did some heavy dealing when you were younger. Those killers that were found dead at the scene could have been their dealers." Carter said.

Adam fidgeted a bit and pulled on her hair a little.

"They never took me to their deals, they may have been soulless pieces of shit, but they would never endanger me like that. Besides, I would've been in the way." Adam said.

"That may be true, but why did you have blood on your face?" Carter asked.

"Maybe because I was holding my parents and crying. Maybe because I had my face lying on the side of my dead mother's!" Adam said in anger and stood up.

"Sit down." Carter said as he stood up.

"Or what? You'll turn me in to your cop friend? The Latin bitch? I know she wants me behind bars." Adam said.

"Enough, Adam!" Carter shouted.

Adam looked at him with a shocked expression.

Carter was shocked at himself, he never yelled at Adam and never knew he would.

"You yelled at me..." Adam stated.

"I'm sorry...I didn't mean to." Carter said.

"Screw you...I'm done here." Adam said and walked toward the door.

Carter went to stop her and she looked at him.

"Adam, you can't leave...they'll track you down." He said.

Adam ripped her bracelet off.

"Let them..." She said.

"That was not a smart idea." Carter said.

"I'm not a very smart girl." Adam said as she dropped the bracelet to the floor.

Carter looked at her and she looked at him.

Adam moved closer to him and kissed his lips softly.

Carter backed away slowly.

"Adam..." He started.