Step 5: Always Check Behind Your Lead

As we all decided what song to choose we heard a tap at the door.

"Hello girls." We spun around.

I widen my eyes in shock as I see who was talking. Dang, I knew I would forget something. It's always something. I straighten up and decided that I should explain myself.

"Mr. Way. I'm so sorry about this. I forgot to ask if we could stay after school. We wanted to make a band. We wanted to know if we could use a room or something." I fiddled with my hands as I tried to be confident. Although when someone says they fiddled their thumbs they aren't usually confident are they?

He rose an eyebrow. "So, you aren't causing any trouble? Well I'm sorry girls, but you have to get a teacher to sponsor you and then have them present it to the Board of Education. As much as I wish we could just have them, we can't." I felt my heart drop.

I looked around at the other girls. I could see their bodies sag as they heard his words. Well, that won't stop me.

"Fine. We will find a sponsor. And if we don't. We'll go to the board ourselves." I crossed my arms to show I wasn't joking. He looked at me and started to chuckle.

"Aria, you sure are a piece of work, you know that?" He turned around. "I'll let you stay here this week. But next week it depends on how it goes." With that he walked away.

"What are we going to do now?" Candace slumped down in her seat.

"I just let you all down. I'm so sorry." I sat and put my head in my hands.

That was the point in the story when everyone tried to comfort me. It was also when I had the most brilliant idea ever. It literally changed our lives for ever. Didn't go exactly as planned, but nonetheless changed our lives.

"Wait, guys. I just had a light bulb moment." I stood up slowly. "Why don't we have Ms. Brunnen sponsor us?" The girls paled. "I mean I know she doesn't exactly like us that much."

"She hates our very existence," Mia pointed out matter-of-factly.

I glared at her. "But guys! She is the music teacher. She has to be able to help us. I mean it would make sense for a 'arts' teacher to sponsor us. Especially a music one." I had my arms crossed and looked at each and every girl.

They all seemed to think about it. "She does have a point. Wouldn't hurt to ask her." I gave a small smile to Sofía for the help.

"Why don't we go now!?" I was jumping up and down by this point. I really wanted her to say yes and help us. "Fine", Mia and Candace groaned.

I started out the door and turned around. I walked back and looked at them. "If you guys aren't coming that means I could say anything. Anything."

I started off again. This time with them following me. They finally realised what a dumb idea it is for me to go by myself. Walking to the classroom, I did have my doubts. What if she says no? What then? I mean maybe another teacher could sponsor us but probably not. Or what if she does and we just end up doing whatever she wants us too? I can't show that I'm scared, but really I'm terrified.

Oh we knew you were.

Aria you show everything on your face. You don't realise it, but you do.

Shut up. I've been working on that.

Slowly. Real slowly.

Whatever. We had finally reached the classroom. Sofía peeked around the corner to see if she was there. She walked in and gestured for us to follow.

"Hey Ms. Brunnen....." Candace said hesitantly. We followed behind.

"Oh sorry, we didn't see you!" Mia exclaimed as we all saw Ms. Brunnen was talking to someone.