Step 3: Avoid the Parentals

I walked home, devising my next plan.

Avoiding the parental figures.

I shook my head as I thought of climbing up the tree near my window.

Too cliche and I've already done it.

Car wash, nope.

Ice cream truck, nah.

Fire, ehh I've done that one too much.

Actually start a fire, not going through that again.

Meh, I'll just walk through the front door. I have too much on my mind, good thing I can think on my feet well.

Before I get to the good stuff, let me explain myself. It seems to have become tradition that I always come up with an excuse to my parents about detention or whatever. Some of them are a little bit over the top.

A little bit?

Sofía let me tell our story. Anyway, some are a little over the top. Like the time I managed to fake a whole one woman musical. That was 3 months in the making. Then there's the fire. I'll admit it, that got out of hand fast.

Really fast.

I walked up our front steps and took a deep breath. Not because I was preparing myself, but because I was lazy and really need to work out. Geez, who invented stairs anyways.

I opened the door. To be met by my brother and sister arguing.

"Give it back, you little dweeb!"

"STop being such a weirdo, YOU CANT MARRY SUGA IF YOU LOOK LIKE A HORSE!"

Suddenly she pushed him and threw herself at him. I shook my head in amusement. All this for a twinkie. They act like it's oreos or something, honestly.

In their defense, they're adopted.

Literally.

I turned to go up the stairs.

"So, Aria. What is the excuse today?" My father steps out of nowhere. I take a step back in surprise.

"Hello father." I try to past him in the doorway. That didn't work. I crane my neck looking for the other guardian of doom.

"Hello Aria."

I jumped ten feet in the air. Holy crap she scared me.

"You can't just walk up behind people like that, what if I had had pepper spray. What then, huh?" I try to play it off cool.

My mom rolls her eyes.

I blurt out the first thing I think of. "We might start a band."At the time I didn't think it would be that serious. Just some after school club and practice or whatever. That was wrong.

"Maybe you won't have detention anymore huh?", asked my dad as he pushed off the door.

I stood there considering it. My face twisted as I tried to imagine a detention free life.

"At least she has good grades. That doesn't mean you should be getting in trouble like this. I mean you were in honor classes for a reason."

I shrugged.

"Forget it mom, she's hopeless." We turned to see Alex and Van in the doorway.

"Shove it Vandamir." He glared and I returned it. He hated being called by his whole name. His hair was disheveled and his flannel was unbuttoned. His face had a long scratch on the side.

"Children, children." Alex stepped in while eating the twinkie. Her shirt hung off her shoulder and I saw scratches on her arm. Looks like she won.