Chapter 27: beyond the border

Lucy's P.O.V.
*back to present time*
My breaths were short as my feet kept moving towards the beach.
I knew that if I didn't make it in time, something awful would happen. I just knew it. The war had still been going on during the two hours I slept after all. Why did things have to turn out this way...

I tripped over rocks and bricks, banged my shoulder several times on walls. The water was already crawling on the ground  creating big splashes as my feet ran against it. My feet were getting  swollen from my tripping and the water only made it worse. My head hurted so bad too... But I just kept moving. I won't give up... I need to be there... I will not give up...

I fell on the ground the moment I felt the sand under my feet. I was panting so so hard and literally everywhere was aching.
"Natsu...!" I cried out. Tears overflowed from the thumping of my head. I struggled to crawl my way forward as the wet, soggy sand stuck to my skin. My eyes were burning and my tongue could only taste salt as the water kept crashing over me. "NATSU!!!"

"Oh look, another worthless being," I heard a voice say. I slowly lifted my head to see who it was. Of course, a merman. His tail was surrounded by water to keep him alive and moving. The thought of water was already making me sick and tired. To think I'm at a stage like this...

"No way, it's a female. We haven't seen one yet in the battle now have we?" Another merman appeared in front of my eyes.

"Yeah... All of them must have hurried off to better land.." The first merman said. He turned his attention from his friend to me, "except for this woman here. Get up."

I groaned as I tried to lift myself up. It didn't work.

"I said get up!" The merman used his water powers to grab me by the neck and let me struggle in midair. The water tightened my neck more and I coughed out blood from the pain. My head was thumping like crazy now.

"Oh my~ these humans are as weak as ever, why do they bother to mess with us when they can't even get up on their damn feet?" The second merman mocked. I looked at my predator in the eyes. I wasn't trying to by tough or anything... I just couldn't believe the fact they don't even recognize my face. But then again, I have feet now and my whole body is beaten up. Plus father could've told everyone to not care about me anymore. Yeah, that's probably it.

"Why the look, huh? Trying to show me you have more moves? Then show me!" The first merman punched me hard with his fist. I fell back on the sand. More blood. I whimpered as I clawed my fingers in the sand and buried my face into it as much as I could. Natsu... Natsu, help me.. Find me once again... Please...

Just that moment I heard a bang and a slash. I shot my head up (which wasn't a good idea cause it caused my head to bleed more) and looked for the cause. When my eyes landed on him I couldn't help but wail.

The onyx green eyes, the pink hair brightly shining in the sunlight, the determination in his face... It's him...

He looked at me and cried in relief,
"Lucy... Luce you're here!"
It's him.
He dropped his sword and hugged me tight. It didn't hurt.
It's him.
"Luce, you're bleeding-- Holy sh--... Your forehead, it's covered with bandage! What happened?!?"
It's him.

He cupped my cheeks and stared into my eyes. I stared back, tears blurring my vision. He tried to wipe them away with his thumbs. He cried a little too. "I thought I would never see you again."
It's him.

It's Natsu.

I hugged him back and cried harder. Even though it had just been more than half a day, What I've been through and how I missed him, it felt  like it had been months.
Natsu stiffed up in shock for a moment before warmly rubbing my back and burying  his face in my shoulder. For a moment it seemed that time stood still and nothing was ever wrong in our worlds.