Part 1

Prince William is engaged!

The Palace has confirmed! The Duke of Cambridge, second-to-the-throne Prince William has proposed to girlfriend Kate White over the holidays.

The pair met while attending St. Andrew university, where Kate captivated the Prince with her charm and 'see-through' dress at a charity fashion show. It was an on-and-off relationship for 5 years, Kate was nicknamed "Waity Katy" for not receiving Will's proposals.

But everything is changing for the happy couple. We shall expect more details from the Palace soon, especially the official engagement photo with legendary blue sapphire ring on Kate's finger. We just can't wait!

***

Paris York is an ordinary girl living an ordinary life. She is 27 years old, works as Senior Editor at an Internet news company called Sizzle, heading their relationship & celebrity section. Her boss, Rebecca, loves to pressure her with unreasonable deadlines.

Her best friend, Dale, is a gay man living a very gay life. He leads Fashion & Beauty section at Sizzle, also at 27 years old. Dale was born rich, owns personal driver to take him around, and he thinks that people who wear Crocs in public are not to be taken seriously.

Paris and Dale were born and raised in New York, though Dale was cultivated in Upper West Side, while Paris sprung from the Lower East Side. They spend their days just like any other 20-somethings New Yorkers. Starbucks in the morning, work in the afternoon, trying out new restaurant/club/bar on some nights, while weekends are spent in the park, yoga club, or theaters. They've had their series of online dating, speed-dating, and even religion-based matchmaking sessions, but no one has really stuck around. 

Until one day, Paris received a phone call that changed everything. 

***

"Dale, give me a romantic movie where the characters didn't end up together but it's actually a happy ending," Paris says.

It's one of those days where Paris has a 1 pm deadline, forcing her to multitask between typing on her laptop and eating a sandwich.

"Uhm, let's see..." Dale taps his finger above his lip, "Funny Girl?"

"I guess... But don't you think Funny Girl has a sad ending? I mean, that song Barbra sang at the finale was just, oh I can't."

"I know. Cruel," Dale sighs. "Oh, speaking of Barbra, how about The Way We Were?"

"Perfect, yes," Paris puts her sandwich on the table so her fingers can type in freely. "Thanks!"

"The ending was so perfect, I'm actually glad they didn't end up together," Dale says, "Hey, your phone is buzzing."

"Wait, I'm almost done..." Paris continues to type, hitting the keyboard like mad.

Dale picks up the phone, "It's actually an international number. Do you want me to answer?"

"Yes, please," Paris replies, still fixated to her laptop screen.

He picks up the call, "Paris' phone, hello?" ... He stops and listens, then says, "Palace?"

He listens again, and scoffs. "Is this a prank call?"

Paris stops typing and looks over to Dale. "Who's that?" she asks him.

He lowers the phone, "This guy says he's from Buckingham Palace. He does sound very English and all."

Paris takes the phone from Dale and puts it on her own ear. "Hello?" she says, "This is Paris."

"Hello?" a guy on the other end speaks, "Miss York?"

"Yes, who is this?"

"Miss York, I'm sorry to disturb you," the person says, "But this is a highly urgent matter. My name is Alfred and I am calling you from the Buckingham Palace."

Buckingham Palace. Paris glances at Dale, but he has started playing with his own cellphone, making a duck face while lifting his phone screen directly in front of his face. 

"An important task was given to me by the Duke of Cambridge. You may be aware that the Duke has gotten engaged to Miss White, and by tradition, he needs to give his fiancé the blue sapphire ring that belongs to his late mother..." he pauses before continuing, "And I was made aware that the Duke has given the ring to you, er, a couple of years ago."

"I woke up like this!" Dale shouts as his head moves up and down, dancing to his phone screen. He puts his hand across his head, Beyoncé's signature style.

"Miss York?" Alfred says, "Are you there?"

"Y-yes," she replies. "Yes, I'm here."

"I was tasked to ask if we can get the ring back. The Duke and Miss White need to make their first public appearance together very soon and it cannot happen without the ring. I will be flying to New York and pick it up myself, so it would be kind of you to let me know when and where we can meet."

"Cause if you liked it, then you should have put a ring on it. If you liked it, then you shoulda put a ring on it..." Dale is now singing Single Ladies.

"Miss York?" Alfred says again. "Where can we meet?" 

"I'm sorry, Alfred," Paris says, "The ring is no longer with me."

***