day one hundred and twenty-four // spontaneous

"get in."

niall turns, confused. he's midway to his car, arms full of his school stuff. louis is walking behind him, confused as well.

niall squints. "liam?"

"get in," liam repeats.

"what is going on? i thought i was meeting you at home?"

"not anymore. get in." 

niall hesitates. "where are we going?"

"do you trust me?"

"of course," niall answers, no hesitation.

liam smiles. "then get in the car."

niall turns to louis. "um, see you tomorrow, i guess? i think?"

louis laughs. "see you tomorrow, ni." he gives niall a hug. liam leans across the armrest in the middle of the car so he can open his door for him, and he squeezes niall to his side once he's in, kissing his face.

niall wriggles away, giggling. "so what are we doing?"

liam snorts. "and you call me a control freak."

"you are! i just like to know what's going on!"

"call it what you must, sweetheart." at this point, liam is merging onto the freeway in the opposite direction of where they live.

"so we're not going home?"

"i can tell you that much." the smile on liam's face is still present; whatever's going on, he's excited about it.

"you can't tell me anything more?"

liam shakes his head, mute. niall pouts, arms crossed over his chest, but not even that makes liam answer any of his questions.

- - -

after an hour of driving, niall's restlessness is intensifying by the second.

"can't we please stop? just for a minute? you know i can't sit still for this long!"

with a chuckle, liam nods. "we're only about ten minutes out, baby. do you need to stop or can you wait?"

niall's pout intensifies somehow. "i'll wait."

so  liam keeps driving, skillfully not answering niall's many demands to know where they're going. not much later, they stop, and niall is surprised to find himself staring up at a hotel.

"what?"

"niall." liam takes niall's hand in his. "you've been working so hard, and we've both been busy...i just want to take a night away and do something fun. i just want to spend time with you. i know we spend time together all the time...but i wanted to do something to make it feel intentional, you know? not just watching something on netflix, but...being somewhere together, you know?"

niall's heart has melted to goop. "yeah," he murmurs. "i totally get what you're saying." he's having yet another rush of affection towards his husband, and this wave is overwhelming. he'll probably drown in it. he beams back at liam when liam grins at him, but his smile turns confused when he hears the trunk open and liam gets out of the car. "wait, we're not staying overnight, are we? we both have to go to work tomorrow!"

"i can take care of some stuff from here," liam answers as he lifts a suitcase out of the trunk.

"um, i can't," niall responds.

liam laughs. "yeah, i kind of figured. your boss says you've built up weeks worth of vacation time."

this is true, and niall bites his tongue at liam's mention of it. "i was hoping to save it up for after the baby's born and we adopt."