day fourteen // two week-iversary

"happy two week-iversary!" niall yells when liam gets home from work. 

"that's not a thing," liam chuckles as he puts down his briefcase. he suddenly finds himself with an armful of his husband, not that he minds, and nestles his cheek against niall's hair. "hi, baby."

niall pinches him. "say happy two week-iversary back!"

"no, it's not a thing."

niall huffs loudly. "i guess none of the stuff i have planned for tonight are things either."

liam pulls back. "you planned something?" it's so unlike niall he's amazed.

"don't say it like that," niall glares. "you make me sound pathetic."

"i'm sorry." liam kisses him gently. "i would never think you're pathetic. lame, yes, but not pathetic."

niall sticks his tongue out at liam. "just go change already so we can go."

liam obliges, smiling at the sticky notes niall stuck on the wall leading to the bedroom. he stops to read one as he walks, and it makes him laugh out loud. in niall's messy scrawl, it reads, 'your dick jokes are weak. your dick game isn't though.'

"did you read the dick one?" niall calls from the kitchen, which makes liam laugh harder.

- - -

"will you tell me where we're going?" liam asks grumpily from the passenger's seat. 

niall giggles. "and you say i'm bad about surprises."

liam scowls. "you know i hate them!"

"no, you don't, you just hate not knowing what's going on. control freak."

"just tell me where we're going!"

"nope. nope, i'm not spoiling it, liam. don't look at me like that -- i won't!"

liam glares out the window until they pull to a stop. liam perks up, looking around for familiar landmarks, and sees nothing. "i'm confused."

niall giggles, which makes liam glare at him, too. "good! come on, get out of the car, mr. grumpy."

"i resent that," liam says, but he gets out of the car anyway. he takes niall's tiny hand, smiling as his husband bites his lip, clearly trying to keep from squealing with excitement. "niall..." liam says slowly when he realizes what's going on.

niall just giggles louder.

"niall, stop," liam says. "if you're not 100% serious, stop it right now."

niall keeps walking, tugging on liam's arm so that he'll follow. liam is squeezing niall's hand out of excitement now as they enter the animal shelter, and he's so excited he can't breathe. liam wanders over to the cages of puppies (which is very niall-like behavior, by the way), but to his surprise, niall doesn't follow. he's talking to someone behind the desk, who smiles widely and nods.

"c'mon, li," niall calls, and liam follows him, glaring again.

"you're sneakier than i give you credit for," liam says suspiciously.

niall giggles. "i know."

liam just continues to glare at the side of his face, and the lady from behind the desk is giggling as she leads them to a room farther back in the shelter.

"what is going on?" liam groans. he hates being out of the loop.

"this is it?" niall asks, ignoring him. his smile is taking over his whole face. the receptionist nods, and niall lets out a little squeal, and then turns to liam. "okay," he says, beaming. "happy two week-iversary!" he pushes the door open, and liam's gasp hurts his chest. he drops to his knees as two chubby little golden retriever puppies rush him, licking at his fingertips. 

"oh my god!" he gasps, and then starts laughing as they playfully nip at his fingers.

"wanna know the best part?" niall giggles. liam nods, half preoccupied with the puppies.

"their names are padfoot and moony."

"they are not."

niall can't stop giggling. when they first started dating, liam had mentioned in passing that he wanted two golden retrievers named padfoot and moony. he never would've thought niall would've remembered, and he finds himself blinking back tears. he grabs his husband, kisses him hard.

"you are the best thing that's ever happened to me," liam whispers when the kiss is broken. niall's eyes are still shut, cheeks pink. god, liam loves him, he aches from loving him. "i cannot believe i ever lived without you."

that, of course, sums up exactly how niall feels, too.

"dibs on padfoot," niall says, taking the puppy right out of liam's lap.

"hey!" liam yelps. "they're my two week-iversary presents!"

"well, you lost that privilege since you made fun of me for it. now you only get one."

"baby. baby," liam says quickly, following niall out of the room, cradling moony like a newborn child. "niall, how could i not think our two week-iversary is important? baby, come on. i love it. this is my new favorite day. you know what i think? huh? you wanna know what i think?"

niall is trying so hard not to laugh.

"i think we should celebrate it every two weeks. yeah? every two weeks we get a new puppy?"

niall finally laughs. "you sound like me!"

liam shakes his head. "oh my god, i do." he frowns. "no, this is weird. this is making me uncomfortable. nope. we're gonna pretend like that didn't happen."

niall snorts. "you're such a weirdo, dude."

"again, with the dude?"

"i don't think that's going away, dude."

"whatever you say, bro."

niall wrinkles his nose. the two of them fill out the paperwork, and not much later, they're driving home with their new puppies.

"liam?"

"yeah?"

"can we actually get a new puppy every two weeks?"

liam laughs. "that's ridiculous." then a pause. "absolutely."