day seventy-seven // announcements

"mum!" niall shrieks, breezing past liam to hug his mother. she laughs as she suddenly has an armful of her youngest son, and cuddles him closer.

"hi, sweetheart!" she laughs. when niall lets go of maura to hug his father, he sees that liam is experiencing the same thing with his parents. then they switch, hugging their in-laws, and then liam re-takes niall's hand. liam gives his hand a squeeze out of nothing but pure excitement, and niall grins back up at him.

"so what's the big occasion?" geoff asks, taking his place at the table next to his wife. "this place is beautiful, by the way."

"oh, duh," liam mumbles, nudging niall. "do you guys want a tour?"

the parents nod, so the husbands tour them around the house, intentionally skipping the nurseries, claiming that they're just storage. when they get back downstairs, liam knows niall is gonna start screaming his head off out of anticipation if they don't tell them now, and has to bite back a smile.

"hey, we have this cool video we found that we want to show you." niall tries to sound chill about it, but he's failing miserably, and liam rolls his eyes fondly.

"okay," maura shrugs, glancing at the other parents with confusion. they all look equally confused, which makes niall stifle a giggle. liam pulls up his laptop, goes to youtube, and pulls up the video.

it starts dark, the star wars theme playing loudly through the speakers. niall is gripping liam's arm so tightly it's practically going numb. in the video, liam's voice says lowly, "i sense a disturbance in the force..." the star wars theme blares louder, and the video zooms up to niall's face, briefly, he's giggling. then it zooms to his stomach. his shirt displays the words, "pregnant, i am," with a picture of yoda on it.

niall's mother screams first, delighted, and grabs for niall so she can hug him. everyone is laughing, and liam's parents are so excited they can barely stand it. joy is so thick in niall's chest he thinks he's going to die, and liam hands out lightsabers that say "you're going to be grandparents," on them.

"that announcement was liam's idea," niall states.

"it's hilarious!" liam whines, offended that niall doesn't openly agree.

he rolls his eyes just as the doorbell rings, and niall lights up. he runs to the door and accepts the package from the delivery man.

"i have one more surprise," he calls. he opens the package just as liam queues up the harry potter theme song. in the package are two stuffed owls with letters tied to their stuffed legs. confused, the grandparents read them.

dear mr and mrs payne and horan,

we are pleased to inform you that your sons have been approved for adoption by hogwarts school of witchcraft and wizardry. please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment.

term beginning date is to be determined.

yours sincerely,

minerva mcgonagall

niall's dad laughs first, and he reaches for niall again. he knew the most about niall's childhood obsession with harry potter, and is able to appreciate this far more than the star wars reference. niall knew it would mean a lot to his father because he used to read the books to him as a child, and when niall pulls back, there are tears in his eyes.

"we felt awful about not telling you as soon as we found out," liam says, "so we decided to tell you with a bit of flair."

"it was absolutely adorable," karen gushes to maura. "we're going to be grandmothers!" they hug each other, squealing excitedly, and niall and liam's fathers hug, too.

they sit down for dinner and just enjoy each other's company. niall physically can't stop smiling all throughout the night -- as he's saying goodbye to their parents, his cheeks are sore. he hugs his mother one last time and fits himself against liam's side, waving.

"that went really well," liam grins.

"i know! my dad's reaction to the adoption announcement was priceless. i've never seen him cry before," niall mumbles, still smiling a bit.

"they loved it. did you see our mums already deciding what they want to be called? neither of them think they're old enough to be 'grandma.'"

niall laughs. "i know! they're such dorks. i see where you get it from now."

"hey!" liam scoffs, offended, and he tickles niall's side.

"stop it!" niall giggles, squirming away. then he wraps both arms around liam's waist. "i love you so much. i can't wait to start a family with you."

"awww, babycakes. i love you so, so much." liam kisses the crown of his head twice, then just nestles his cheek against his hair. "i wouldn't want to do it with anyone else. you are perfect, and simultaneously somehow perfect for me," he says gently, and niall's cheeks are sore again.