day one // marriage & mugs

it starts with laughter.

liam could get drunk off the sound. niall squealing with laughter, cheeks pink with joy, nose wrinkled. he stumbles alongside liam, also drunk from joy. he's still wearing the tux from the wedding, and he looks just as stunning with his hair all mussed.

"wait, baby, wait," liam says quickly, stopping niall before he enters their apartment.

"what?" niall is confused. also sleepy. "what's wrong?"

liam is smiling again. niall's smile pops out, too, automatic, matching liam's. "we're married now," he says.

"uh...yes," niall says slowly, exaggerated, as if liam is stupid.

"shut up," liam laughs, making niall giggle. "come here."

niall is still confused (also still sleepy), but steps closer to his husband. he lets out a gasp when liam scoops him up in his arms bridal style, and he laughs again. he links his arms around liam's neck, pressing kisses onto his husband's face as he unlocks the door.

"welcome home, mr. payne," liam whispers. his gaze is so fond, and he nuzzles his nose against niall's.

"thank you, mr. payne," niall laughs. liam sets him down and just holds him. niall's back is pressed against the kitchen table as liam starts to kiss him, and this is safe. this is so safe and familiar, and niall's heart is singing in his chest. when liam breaks the kiss, niall pupils are dilated -- he's halfway gone, and liam feels pride that he did that.

"dibs on the baymax mug," liam whispers, and then laughs at niall's rage.

"no!" he yells, and then he's squeezing past liam to beat him to the cabinet. liam catches him by the waist, but niall squirms out of his grasp again. "liam!" he yells when he gets to the cabinet. he spins around and pouts aggressively at him.

liam laughs, unapologetic. he has a height advantage on niall, and he put his favorite baymax mug on the highest shelf. 

"you're the worst!"

"sorry," liam says, only half meaning it. he reaches up and brings the mug down, handing it to his husband. he can't stop thinking about it. he's married, married to this beautiful man who has his whole heart. the joy is uncontainable, and he hugs niall from behind as he pours hot water into his mug. "i love you, angel."

niall and liam must be soulmates, or something, because as soon as liam is overwhelmed by joy, niall feels it, too. his smile hurts his face. "i love you, too, baby."

not much later, they're in bed, niall sipping his tea, liam his decaf coffee. friends reruns are playing on the tv, and liam is running his large hand up and down niall's spine as he reads his book.

niall closes his eyes. if he could have nothing else in the world for the rest of his life, he would be happy with this.

a/n: so the chapters of this fic are going to be short, because it's a bit like a one shots book in that it doesn't have a linear plot. if there's something you'd really like to see, you can drop a comment and i'll try and incorporate it! x