The Girl

Chapter 1

It was dark, rainy, and cold that night in the city of Metro Heights.

Carter Anderson was called in by Serena Sanchez to help in a special case, a girl named Adam Robinson was found at a crime scene where her parents were murdered along with their killers.

She was suspected of either killing the killers or her parents and the killers.

She was 18 years old, alone, abused, and scared out of her mind.

Carter took her under his wing to protect her and try to find out what really happened.

He looked up her information while he was at the police station and it read:

Name: Adam Marley Robinson

Age: 18

Sex: Female

Hair: Brown

Eyes: Green

Skin: Fair

Blood Type: AB-

Notes: Adopted by her aunt when she was ten years old. Parents were arrested for child abuse.

After learning more about her, Carter added a few notes about his own thoughts.

Adam seems to be a stable young woman for having these kinds of things happen to her, she seems a bit nervous around people which is to be expected, and is quiet. She hardly talks and normally just stares at the ground when being talked to.

Her parents abused her when she was younger, more of her father doing it than her mother according to the reports.

Adam's aunt died when she was about 17 years old and she's been on her own ever since with nowhere to go.

Tonight her parents were found dead in an alleyway with two accused killers at the side...dead.

She was found with blood on the side of her face, crying and holding a bloody knife.

I believe she was defending herself either against the attackers, her parents or both.

Her parents went through rehab and counseling sessions, they claimed to have wanted forgiveness from Adam when they met her in the alleyway.

That is all Adam remembers her parents saying, but she can't remember what happened afterward.

Carter saved his work and headed back to his home in The Commons which was located in South Metro near Downtown.

His neighborhood was a middle-class type area with nice houses that had simple people living there.

Well-kept lawns and houses were seen, lush trees and white fences.

Carter's house was average, no fence, and was one story.

He still lived in the house he had since he was a child.

His life was not so simple; he grew up around high-class people, high-class school, and was never happy.

Being with Adam, helping her, and trying to understand her...made him thinking about his own life not being as bad as hers.

"Do you have anything to say, Adam? Anything you want to tell me?" He asked her.

They were sitting in his living room at this time.

Adam sat there looking at the ground and tugging at her dark hair gently.

"Adam? Are you okay?"

She looked at Carter and shook her head.

"Don't be scared...you can tell me anything."

"Where should I start?" She asked softly.

Carter smiled as he looked at her.

"From the beginning..." He said.

Adam was still a bit nervous, she was hiding something.

"Like my childhood or before my parents died?" She asked Carter.

He chuckled a little and smiled.

"Childhood." He said.

"Well...it sucked. My parents gave me a boy name...they smoked, drank and never really paid much attention to me." Adam said.

"They had to have done some things right or else you'd be with another family." Carter said.

"They knew how to work around the system; they acted all nice and crap whenever anyone came over. Social workers never showed up because no one ever called them. I just took it all in with a grain of salt." Adam said.

Carter looked at Adam as he studied her movements and facial expressions.

"Were you always scared?" He asked her.

"Hell yeah, I was. Wouldn't you if your parents treated you the same? What the hell kind of question is that? I was trying to survive half the time!" Adam said as she stood up.

"I didn't mean to anger you...I'm just trying to get to know you and perhaps it'll explain what happened tonight." Carter said calmly.

Adam sat back down and sighed.

"My parents got what was coming to them...but I didn't do it. Their killers...well, who the hell knows? A bad deal that went wrong? Someone didn't have the right drugs?" She said.

"Okay, okay. I am not blaming you; it's just if you keep saying your parents deserved it, someone will think you're guilty." Carter explained.

Adam tugged at her hair in frustration and sighed in anger.

"This is bullshit! I was just going over there to make amends or at least see if they became human...I don't need this. I'm not a criminal!" Adam shouted.

"I didn't say you are...you need to relax. You're not under arrest and I'm not a cop. I'm an investigative consultant. I'm here because I work on special cases." Carter explained.

"You mean you're just here to see if I'm crazy or some kind of child gone bad?" Adam asked.

"I'm here to help you...I don't want to see you go to prison." Carter said.

Adam scoffed a bit.

"A Guardian Angel...so, you finally came after all my screams and cries. Great fricking job, Harvey." Adam said.

After Carter was done getting to know Adam, he made another note to his log.

Adam seems to be very confused at this time, whenever I tried to question her she felt violated or as if she was being interrogated.

She has a problem with authority but does follow the rules at times.

She had to fight for everything she is today, her parents abused her and no one ever knew until it was too late.

She is just 18...this is not the life for a teenage girl who is becoming a woman.

Her mind is still that scared six-year-old girl behind the couch praying to God every day.

Only this time...she's given up on Him but keeps trying.

Carter ended his log and sent some reports to Sanchez.

She e-mailed him to meet her in the morning for coffee...she had a lead in the case.