Someone could use a hero chapter 3

Chapter 3

“Chrissy you need to stop pacing, you’re making me dizzy,” Apryll whined.

“I can’t!” I cried, “After all these years I find out I was adopted from New York City! How could they keep something like that from me?!”

Apryll shrugged, “Just talk to your parents.”

“You mean my ‘parents’,” I muttered, using air quotes, “I’m not breathing a word of it to them and neither are you!”

Apryll pouted, “But…but I can’t keep a secret!”

I went over to my dresser where I uncovered a roll of neon pink duct tape. I ripped off a piece.

“Hey, what are you…mfglifhgf!” Apryll cried as I stuck the tape across her mouth.

“Don’t even think about taking that off until you leave this house,” I ordered.

“mgdrfghblg,” she muttered.

*Two weeks later*

After two weeks without letting the secret slip, it was my fifteenth birthday. I excitedly yanked on a jean skirt, a yellow tank top and a pair of silver heels. Pulling my gold hair in a low ponytail, I raced down the stairs to find everyone already gone.

“Happy birthday,” I muttered to myself. I grabbed my lunch money and raced out the door before I missed the bus. I grabbed my phone and flipped it open, seeing five new texts. They were happy birthday texts from Apryll, Louise, Hannie, Tiara and my cousin Chris. I smiled, feeling loved. I heard the rumble of a large vehicle climbing up the hill to my house, so I bolted out the door, nearly missing my bus.

Lunch, I thought to myself, finally I get to eat! I bought a pizza bagel from the cafeteria and made my way to Hannie’s locker. We routinely ate there because cafeterias, as Tiara once said, are scary.

“Happy birthday!” everyone cried, except for Brad.

“I thought it was October fifth,” he sneered. I scowled. Brad was the most annoying creature living. He was the Sheldon Cooper of our clique. He thinks that my birthday’s October fifth because it’s nine months after new years eve; implying I was a drunk mistake. It took everything I had not to slug him.

“So, I’m coming over for cake, right?” Apryll asked. She didn’t need to ask, she barges into my house every year just as we cut the cake. I figured out how she timed it when I caught her peering into the kitchen window in sixth grade.

I rolled my eyes, “Like you need to ask.”

We giggled. After lunch I was at my locker when I felt my pizza bagel come up. Mason, my biggest crush, was walking hand in hand with a beautiful girl with long flowing light brown hair. She was beautiful. I was a motionless robot walking to English.

“What’s up?” Tiara asked as I sank into my chair.

“I saw the guy I like, holding hands with another girl…” I groaned.

“That’s it?” She cried.

“Yeah, Chrissy, it’s no big deal,” Hannie muttered.

“But I’ve liked him for over a year and a half!” I cried.

The girls rolled their eyes and I sighed in frustration. Can this day get any worse?

“Are you joining improv?” Louise asked me. I nodded.

“Practise is after school today,” she informed me.

I groaned. Mom was going to pick out a cheap, stale, cake from the grocery store unless I went with her to get my much loved ice cream cake. But, I had commitments.