11: Give Her Your Phone

"Connie?"

I blinked, my head snapping in the direction of the voice. Vivi's eyebrows knit with concern, her brother's expression an exact replica.

"Are you okay?" Vivi queried, tugging at the strap of her bag. "You keep zoning out."

My shoulders rose before drooping in defeat. I quickened my pace, faces and lockers passing by in an unsorted blur. Something pulled and tugged at my heart, a constant niggling feeling. It felt like I sprouted horns and began stabbing people in the back with a bloody pitchfork. That's how Josh interpreted me when he texted me the night before, anyways. Now, my eyes stung from lack of sleep and my heart sunk like the Titanic.

A hand grabbed my shoulder, causing me to skid to an abrupt halt. The tardy bell echoed off the walls, mocking me with its shrill laughter. My heart thudded in my chest, tears pricking at the corners of my eyes. Not even the coat of mascara on my eyelashes could grant me confidence.

"Connie, we asked you a question," Joel whispered, gently squeezing my shoulder.

Vivi appeared in front of me, hands on her hips and her lips tugged into a fine line. Bold red lips contrasted pale pink eyeshadow. "You've been acting weird all morning. Why won't you trust us?"

I shrugged Joel's hand off my shoulder and shoved past Vivi. Then, I paused, my back facing them. "Just leave me alone," I muttered. "I don't need your pity."

"It's not-"

"Hey, guys."

I spun on my heel, heart pounding even faster. "Meatbag? Cheyenne?"

Luca ran a hand through his light hair, eyes shining while his girlfriend stood stiff beside him. Her eyes clouded, dark hair shielding half of her face from my view. Joel and his sister turned to face them, Vivi's hands instantly balling into fists.

"What do you want?" Vivi hissed, taking a menacing step forward.

Luca's hands flew in front of his face, remorse forced into his expression and lips tugged down. "Hey, I don't want any trouble. I think this whole feud thing is stupid."

Joel cocked his head to the side, his shoulders squared. "I'm not sure I believe you."

The meatbag emitted a soft sigh, shoving his hands into his pockets. "Hey, come on bro, we're best friends." His gaze slowly shifted to the feisty blonde. "Vivi, I shouldn't have gotten so upset with you. You're Cheyenne's best friend. I'm so sorry. You can dislike me if you want, but I don't want to be separated from my friends over a stupid fight. Can you guys ever forgive me."

Vivi's head cocked to the side. "What's your angle."

"No angle," Cheyennes voice rang out. "Vivi, can you guys start over? For me, please?"

Joel tentatively held out his hand. "Okay, Luc. To be honest, I've missed your shenanigans."

Laughter pierced the tension-filled air.

Luca shook his friend's hand, his grip tight and firm. "Well, I've missed your constant nagging."

Chey offered a tilt of her lips to Vivi, who she slowly pulled the girl into her arms. I awkwardly stood there, my heart on fire and my instincts begging me to flee. Yet, I stood rooted to the spot. I felt like a tree who'd grown roots to these people, flourished, and refused to be chopped down and forgotten.

As if my thoughts became voiced aloud, all eyes and bodies shifted towards me. I rocked back and forth on my heels. Silence wrapped around me like a thick blanket, slowly suffocating me instead of keeping me warm. My gaze darted about, fingers fidgeting with my delicate bracelet. A single charm hung from the silver chain; half of a heart. Cheyenne gifted it to me before she moved. Obviously, she held the other half.