17.0

Three days.

It had been three days of hell at the Swan household. There had been no word from Bella and Charlie was going crazy. He and Kate spent most of their time at Harry Clearwater's house to get away from the elephant in the house. Kate did what she can to help out Sue but she wanted to do more. She hung out with Seth and Leah while Sue, Billy, and Charlie prepared for the funeral but the day that it came it felt as if nothing could prepare them for the sadness.

The whole tribe and the pack gathered to pay their respects to a man they saw as their leader. Kate had her head on Jacob's shoulder as they held hands watching the scene before them. Tears streamed down both of their faces as they watched someone close to them get laid in the ground. Paul stood next to them crying as well. Kate reached out and grabbed his hand rubbing her thumb gently over the back of his hand. He looked at her with a small smile of thanks before turning back to the scene.

After the funeral the pack had their own wake at Emily's house where they sat in silence with untouched food before them. Sam gave a toast honoring Harry's memory before they took sips of whiskey that was brought out for the occasion. The liquid was disgusting and burned Kate's throat but she didn't care. It was nothing compared to the burning she felt inside.

She hated them. She hated all of the vampires. This was all their fault. If they would have just stayed away Kate would be normal, Jacob would be normal, Bella would be beside her, and Harry would be alive. All of the bad things that have happened were because of them and she couldn't find it in her to forgive them.

It was that night, long after Charlie and Kate got home, that Bella came stumbling into the house. Charlie and Kate had been sitting in the kitchen lost in their own thoughts when she came back. Immediately, Charlie had his rage back and went off on Bella. She took the yelling without word then went up to her room.

Kate followed her upstairs and stood in the doorway as she unpacked.

"I'm assuming he's alive," she said slowly.

Bella nodded not answering her.

Kate grunted and rolled her eyes before going back to her room shutting the door loudly. She lay there in silence staring at the ceiling before falling asleep. It wasn't too much longer that she was woken by Bella once again.

"Kate, please get up, I need you," Bella whispered.

If she was being honest with herself, Kate would have like to pretend to be asleep but at the sound of the panic in her sister's voice she got up. Bella snuck Kate out of the house in the middle of the night and drove of to god knows where. When Kate saw where they were once the truck stopped, Kate protested.

"No, no, no, hell no," Kate shouted loudly at her sister.

"Kate, please," Bella begged her.

Kate dramatically threw her hands in the air and marched inside leaving Bella still standing there. She knew where to go. She could sense all of the vampires in once place. When she got to the living room she could see all of them there.

Emmett smiled at her and made to hug her but she held out her hand to stop him.

"Don't," she said dangerously.

The grin on his face dropped and he walked back to stand next to Rosalie. The rest of the Cullens looked at her with sadness before Bella and Edward walked in. The second that she saw Edward's face, Kate saw red. She hated him with every fiber of her being. A sense of serenity washed over Kate and she glared at Jasper who was looking at her.

"Umm.... thank you for this," Bella began. She looked at Kate quickly before continuing, "You all know what I want and I know how much I'm asking for. The only thing that I can think of for it to be fair is to just vote."

"Vote on what?" Kate asked.

No one answered her.

"Alice?" Bella asked looking at the vampire.

"I already consider you my sister! Yes," the vampire came up to Bella and engulfed her into a hug before pulling her into the middle of the room.

"Yes, what?" Kate asked again but still no one answered her.

Jasper spoke up this time, "I vote yes. It would be nice to not want to kill you all the time."

"I'm sorry," Rosalie began, "I'm really sorry to both of you for how I've acted and I'm really grateful that you were brave enough to save my brother. But this isn't a life I would have chosen for myself and I wish there had been someone to vote no for me. So, no."

Kate stared at the blonde. Rosalie looked at Kate quickly before averting her gaze. Kate studied Rosalie's words carefully and finally understood what was going on. Jasper renewed his efforts to keep her calm but he was starting to struggle.

"I vote hell yeah," Emmet laughed picking up Bella, "We can pick a fight with these Volturi some other way."

Esme chimed in, "I already consider you a part of the family. Yes."

Carlisle stepped forward, "You've chosen not to live without her, which leaves me no choice. I won't lose my son."

Bella began to smile and this was the final straw for Kate. She threw off Jasper's emotional manipulation and let out her anger. The mirrors in the room cracked under her rage. All of the vampires tensed ready to subdue her. Kate ignored them and pointed a finger at Bella threateningly.

"I won't let you just throw away your life."

Kate sprinted out of the room and flew through the forest. Fast and faster she ran. She could hear someone chasing after her but they were too late. She made it to the Quileute boarder and all sounds of chase were gone.