3.0

As Edward drove Bella and Kate home, Kate sat seething leaning against the passenger seat window. They sat in silence for most of the journey, each of them taking in the night's events. Bella spoke first.

"Say something," she begged Edward.

"What do you want me to say?" he asked.

"That I'm a total klutz but it's okay, that things will go back to normal."

"Normal people get paper cuts. If you had a normal party I would've gotten you a Band-Aid. If I was a normal boyfriend, I wouldn't have to fight the urge to kill you..."

Bella interrupted him, "Stop. I don't want normal. I want you."

Kate scoffed in the corner causing Bella to glare at her. She threw one hand up.

"And how long until wanting him gets you killed?" she asked her sister.

No one in the car had an answer and they rode insilence until they reached their house.   

As soon as the car stopped, Kate threw open the door and slammed it shut before running into the house. Charlie didn't stop her as she bounded up the stairs. She burst into her room and ripped off the dress that Alice gave her and threw it to the floor. Kate flopped backward onto her bed and just lay there looking at the ceiling above her. She groaned and rolled over to punch the pillow next to her. Under the force of the punch, the bed creaked and dropped about an inch. Kate relaxed into the now broken bed and without putting clothes on, fell asleep on top of the covers.

The Cullens didn't appear the next day at school, which was fine with Kate what with the resentment she was feeling toward Edward at the moment. What did bother her was the way Bella seemed to zone out the entire day. It was as if everything was happening without sound around her. Kate tried to get her to interact with society throughout the day but by the time lunch had come around she had given up.

When they got home Edward was waiting by the edge of the house like a creepy stalker waiting to talk to Bella.

"Bella, come inside," she told her.

Bella waved her off, "I'm going to take a walk with Edward. I'll be back in an hour or two."

She didn't wait to here Kate's response but walked over to Edward anyway and the two disappeared off into the forest. Kate rolled her eyes and walked into the house. She dropped off her school things before going upstairs. As she walked she dialed Jacob's number.

"Hello," came his voice from the other end.

Kate smiled into the receiver, "Hey Jacob, listen don't hate me..."

"I could never. What's up?"

"I'm not coming over today. It hasn't been a good twenty-four hours."

She could hear Jacob's laughter on the other end, "That bad with the Cullen's huh?"

"You have no idea," she sighed, "To be honest, it was a shit show but whatever. I just need some sleep."

"Yea no problem. I'll just see you tomorrow, right?"

"Of course, Black."

He chuckled, "Night, Kate."

"Night," she laughed as she hung up the phone.

When she got to her room Kate crawled into her bed and fell into a dreamless sleep. It was a while before she woke up. The sunset was just visible through the trees that were outside of her window. She stretched with a small smile on her face feeling better than she had been all day. Getting out of bed she went to Bella's room to ask her if she was hungry but found the room empty.