6.0

Bella had been coming to the reservation for about a month before things started to change. During that month, Kate felt happier than she had in a long time. Jacob, Bella, and Kate would laugh and tell each other about their days. Despite Bella's best efforts to not monopolize all of Jacob's time by making sure Kate was included in whatever they were talking about, Kate couldn't help but feeling that she was being left out. Jacob could always tell when this upset her because he would immediately start talking to her.

Embry and Quil came by often to talk to them. Mostly they sat next to Kate and annoyed her while offering unhelpful tips of information but always agreed to help her when she needed it. The two boys seemed to be her lifeline to the "good old days" when it was just her coming to the reservation. Not that Kate complained because Bella was finally getting back to her old self little by little.

Bella would always go home earlier than Kate would leaving the boys and Kate to have some time to themselves to play around outside or go to the beach together. Many times they actually played soccer on the beach, which consisted of messing around in the sand rather than actually playing the game. These were the times that Kate cherished the most, where she was the happiest.

It was a Wednesday afternoon at the garage when Kate began to feel the toll of the supernatural once again on her life. She was buffing out a scratch in the back of Jacob's Rabbit when Jacob tossed her ringing phone into her hand.

"Hello?" she asked.

Paul's voice came over the other end, "You need to come to Emily's house."

Kate put down the sander and stood there on the phone while Bella and Jacob looked at her with curiosity.

"Why? Is something wrong?" she asked him.

Paul gave a dark chuckle, "Embry Call phased. He's panicking in the clearing by Emily's house. Sam wants you there to calm him down and to talk to him."

Before Paul had finished talking Kate had started to move to the opening of the garage.

"I'll be right there," she hung up and threw on her jacket.

"Is everything okay," Jacob asked her.

Kate nodded at him, "Yea just my friend Paul needs some help and I told him I'd be there."

Jacob's face grew dark but she didn't have time to argue with him before she sprinted to her car. She drove her car to Emily's house before throwing open her car door. She took off her jacket and she began to sprint through the forest at her unnatural speed. She could hear the whimpering sounds coming from Embry before she saw him. She burst through the trees and slowed down to a walk.

In the middle of the clearing stood Jared and Sam in their wolf forms while Paul stood aside watching as a human with clothes in his hand. Kate maneuvered around Sam to see another wolf shaking on four legs.

Kate slowly walked forward toward Embry. Sam snapped his jaws at her to tell her to stay back but she ignored him. Embry was her friend and she wasn't about to let him be scared.

She held up her hands as she walked forward, "Embry, it's okay. You're going to be okay."

Embry took a couple shaky steps back but Kate kept walking forward. When she got to him she gently placed her hands on Embry's muzzle and pet gently.

"It's okay. I won't let anything happen to you. I promise," she told him.

Embry's eyes closed and his shaking seemed to subside. She felt a nudge on her back and saw Sam right next to her. Embry looked at them with wide eyes. He seemed to look back and forth between Sam and Kate. Sam once again nudged her, this time toward Paul. Kate slowly walked toward Paul and stood looking at Sam, Jared, and Embry. She watched as before her eyes, Sam and Embry transformed into their naked human forms together. Embry sat on the grass shaking from the cold and the shock.

Kate took the clothes from Paul's hands and walked toward Embry. He looked up to her with scared eyes. She knelt down next to him and handed him the clothes. He didn't smile like he normally did but took the clothes with trembling hands.

She gave him a sad smile, "Welcome to the world of the weird."

Embry gave her a ghost of a smile before pulling on the shirt. He looked at her awkwardly before looking at the shorts. Kate would've laughed if Embry weren't so scared. She had seen all of these boys naked more than once. Kate stood up and turned around so that Embry could get dressed without her watching.

"So you're a...a..." Embry began.

Kate turned around to see him fully dressed.

"Siren. It's a little strange," she smirked.

Embry gave her another half-smile, "Well considering I just turned into a wolf, I don't think it's that strange."

"It is, trust me," Sam butted in.

Kate looked at Sam before causing Sam and Jared, who was still a wolf, to levitate in mid air. The fiery blue energy whipped around them making Kate look powerful and dangerous. Embry looked at her with wide eyes before backing away from her scared. Kate let them drop and took a step forward toward Embry before Sam stopped her.

"He may phase," Sam told her.

Kate ripped her arm out of his grasp, "I can handle myself. I won't let him be scared of me."

Kate walked to him again this time even slower than before, "Embry, it's still me. I'm still the girl you always lose bets to."

Embry didn't laugh at her joke but backed away even further. Kate stopped walking and looked at him hurt. She felt a warm hand touch her back. She turned to see Paul next to her.

"Come on, Princess. Let's get to Emily's. Embry can meet us later when Sam can explain everything more," he told her softly. He was never this gentle with her but seeing her in this state made him protective of her.

Kate went with him and they walked together through the woods to Emily's house. They walked in and she had laid out muffins for them. Emily's face lit up at the sight of them.

"So, how is he?" she asked them.

Paul signaled her to stop and her face fell.

"He's scared of me," Kate told her stonily taking a muffin.

Emily looked at her with pity, "He's scared of everything right now. He'll come around."

Paul and Kate ate in silence waiting for the others to get back. It was dusk by the time she heard them approaching. When they entered the room, she stood up upon seeing Embry. He gave her a small smile before nodding to the outdoors. Kate followed him outside and they stood on Emily's porch.

"So Sam showed me everything," Embry said awkwardly after a second.

Kate softly laughed, "Right wolfy telepathy."

Embry laughed lightly too before doing something so out of character for him. He pulled her into a tight hug. Kate could hear the boy's inside being ready to spring into action should Embry phase but right now she didn't care. She hugged her friend back and they stood there for a second.

When he pulled back Embry gave her a brighter smile.

"So looks like we're freaks together," he told her.

Kate laughed, "Who you calling a freak, freak. I don't turn into a big fur ball."

Embry laughed but paused before giving her a wide grin, "I bet you ten bucks I can beat you."

"Don't do it yet, pup. She'll take you out," Jared said poking his head through one of the windows near by.

They laughed before Kate turned back to Embry, "You're on."