9.0

"Dammit, Jacob just pick up the phone. I know what happened and I know Sam told you about me so please, call me back. I'm sorry," Kate said into the receiver.

After the movies Kate had called Sam and let him know that Jacob was phasing. The pack had gotten to Jacob's house just in time apparently. Paul had called her later that night to tell her what had happened.

"We got your pretty boy out before he tore up the house," Paul laughed on the phone. "You should've seen Billy. I don't think the man has ever been prouder or happier in his life."

"It's not funny Paul. How is he?" she asked him.

"About as scared as Embry was. Although I did think it made it easier having Embry there with Sam talking him through it."

Kate gave a small smile, "Don't hurt him too badly."

"For you, Princess? Never," Paul barked out a laugh.

"When can I see him?" she almost begged him.

She heard Paul pull the phone away from his mouth to talk to someone. There was a shuffling on the other line and a mixture of voices that she couldn't hear. Kate waited patiently for an answer. Some more shuffling occurred before a voice came over the other end.

"Kate?"

"Sam. Thank God you got there in time. Paul says he's alright when can I talk to him."

Sam's voice sounded strained on the other line, "Kate, stay away from here."

"Why?"

Sam sighed, "He doesn't want to see you."

"What? No, Sam you have to let me..."

"I have to do what's best for him first."

Kate didn't know what to say for a moment.

"What did I do?"

"He's angry and doesn't want to see you."

Kate swallowed a huge lump that had formed in her throat, "Fine."

She hung up the phone before throwing it across the room. She didn't know what to do. That same invisible force that had made her feel so happy was now hurting her. Kate sat on her window seat and looked at the drawing there. She picked them up and watched as tears hit the paper. She looked at a drawing of Emily's house before she threw them down in anger.

How dare he be mad at her? She did all of this to protect him and now he was mad at her? Wouldn't he lie to protect those he loved? Isn't that why she pushed him away in the first place?

Kate looked out the window and stared at the forest beyond it. She wondered what his wolf form looked like. She wondered how he felt when Embry told him the truth. She wondered where they would go from here.

It had been a week of silence from Jacob. While Kate was angry with Jacob, Bella was hurt at how her best friend was suddenly ignoring her. Kate couldn't tell Bella no matter how much she wanted to without exposing the pack.

"Okay we should be back around three," Charlie told her coming into the living room with Harry both in their fishing gear. "Where's your sister?"

Kate turned to look at them, "Upstairs."

Charlie gave her a sad look, "Hey, look, I don't have to go fishing today."

"Yes you do," Harry told him.