Forsaken (The Night Children, Volume 1)

Years have passed, the light fades

A sacred world bleeds, darker each day

The shadows weep for ruined dreams

As nightmares choke the land to screams 

The lost daughter, no longer forsaken

A ancient force long forgotten,

Awakened

---------------------------------------------

When sixteen year old Astra Gray is asked what her plans for the future are, she'll give it to you straight: get good grades, get a scholarship to a good college, and get the hell out of the orphanage. Since she was only a day old, Astra has lived in one of the many over-crowed  Los Angeles orphanages, wanting more than anything to experience the normal life that her peers have.

But Astra isn't a normal girl. Plagued by strange dreams, horrifying nightmares, and the shadowy figure who always seems to lurk inside them, she often wonders about her sanity. Hearing voices at night and seeing shadows dance isn't normal. After nearly being abducted and witnessing what should be considered a murder, Astra slowly realizes that things aren't always seem.

Suddenly thrown into a strange world of wolves, dream worlds, and Nightmare Slayers, Astra must come to terms with the truth of her heritage, find her missing half, and maybe fall in love with the wrong person along the way, all while realizing that in order to defeat the darkness, she must first embrace it.