Chapter 13

Hey guys! So… I have no actual excuse for why I haven’t updated. I hope that you can forgive me. I think that I may have mentioned it before, but I really want to turn this book into a standalone novel (meaning it won’t be a batman/YJ fan fiction anymore). I’ve been focusing on that, and I’m really excited about how it’s turning out. I don’t know if it’ll be a trilogy, a five-book series, or more, but the possibilities are endless! I’m hoping to get this version of the book published within the next few years. I think that it’s really promising. I’m going to finish this book, but not finish the series, so if you want to know what happens, you can read the non-fan fiction version. It’ll basically be the same, minus the Batman stuff.

Thanks for being so patient!! Love you guys!!

                                                                   Chapter 13

                                                                       Astra

            “Let’s hurry and get inside,” Gaidrian stated, herding them to the front door. As they approached the old mansion, he started fishing around in his pockets. “I know I put it in here- ah, there it is.” He had produced a big, brass looking key, and inserted in into the key hole. The door creaked open and the others marched in, toting the bags. Astra followed behind timidly, clutching Runt nervously to her chest as she entered yet another strange house.

“Where are we?” she asked yet again, hoping to actually get an answer this time.

“Our new home, for the time being,” was all he said to her. Turning to the others, he added, “Stay with her. I’m going to talk to our host.” And with that, he disappeared down a dark hallway.

Astra was fed up. Since she’d met him, her brother never failed to treat her dismissively. He’d dragged her all around the country with little to no explanation, and left her in the hands of strangers. She whirled around, ready to shoot rapid-fire questions at Cain.

He seemed to read her mind, because he shook his head. “Not now. You’ll have your questions answered in a moment, so let’s just get you settled in a room upstairs.” Holding back a rude remark, Astra followed him obediently, ignoring Kali’s amused snorts.

The second floor of the house was just as dark as the downstairs, only it seemed a bit more lived in. Cain led her all the way to the end of a long hallway, opening the door on the right. When he flipped the light on, she saw that room had obviously been decorated with a female in mind- there were expensive white lace trimmings on the curtains and bedspread, and fluffy silk pillows were placed strategically on the bed. Despite its grandeur, it was clear to her that the room hadn’t been used in years; it smelled stuffy and there was a thick layer of dust coating every surface.

“This’ll be your room, for the time being.” Cain has placed her menial belongings in a corner and was now throwing open the curtains and windows to let in some fresh air. Astra timidly stepped further into the room, inspecting it with innocent curiosity. She wondered whose house this was, why they’d come here, and who had stayed in this room. Finally, Cain reached the last set of curtains, opening them to reveal a large balcony that looked out over the mansions courtyard and the trees beyond. Reading her mind again, Cain said, “You can come have a look if you want. The view of the moon is pretty great tonight.” After she placed Runt on the bed, he stepped aside so she could pass and leaned against the doorframe as she stared out at the endless expanse of woods. Suddenly feeling insignificant and exhausted, she leaned against the shadowy, moss-covered side of the house, closing her eyes for a moment. When she opened them again, her view had changed. Instead of looking out over the trees, she was standing among them in the cold darkness. The moon had vanished and the stars has provided the only light.