Chapter 1

Chapter 1

                                                                  Astra

The harsh glare of the lights shone down on me, my shadow stretching across the stage, flickering when I moved, and maybe when I didn't, too. My arms were perfectly pointed and taut, and my arms fluttered around my body like wings. A drop of sweat slid down my chest and seeped into the thin fabric of my torn and battered hand-me down leotard. The music was dark and eerie, and the auditorium was dimly lit save for the stage. I tried not to tremble as I slowly extended a long, slender leg into the air.

Suddenly, the lights flickered, and I gasped, crumbling onto the sweat and blood covered floor. Slowly rising, I peeked around the curtains, checking to be sure that I was alone.

"Hello?" I called, but there was no answer. Sighed, I walked stiffly over to the edge of the stage where I'd had a towel and bottle of water. Gulping down the fluid, I wiped my face, then looked at the wall-mounted clock. Ten-thirty. Knowing that I needed to head out soon, I decided that I run through my routine one more time. Taking position, I counted myself off and, without the music, I flitted around the stage, knowing that the more I practiced, the better chance I'd have of getting a scholarship. And if I got a scholarship, then-

Beep.

The sounded reverberated through the room, causing me to pause mid step. Normally, I'd assume it was a cell phone, but I didn't have one, and I was suppose to be alone.

Beep. Beep.

The sound grew louder and more urgent. "Hello? Is anyone there?" I called out once more, deciding that I'd had enough creepy for one night, and gathered up my belongings, shoving them into my old gym bag. When I turned to shut off the lights, something beat me to it, plunging me into total darkness. I tried to call out for help, but I seemed to be choking on the shadows. I couldn't feel the floor beneath my feet any longer, and it felt almost as if I was swimming. Swimming in the darkness and drowning the shadows.

Beep. Beep. Beep.

I tried to scream, but I couldn't. It felt as though I had a hand firmly clamped around my throat. I struggled against it's hold, refusing to give up, and-

"Astra, turn off your damn alarm clock!" Daren Black shouted, pounding on my bedroom door.

Shooting up in my bed, I looked around the room, panting and thoroughly horrified from the horrible nightmare. Groaning, I slammed my fist down on the snooze button and flopped back into bed, glancing over and realizing that the two other girls who shared the tiny bedroom with me had already made their beds and left. Cursing myself for sleeping in, I rolled out of bed and stood, stretching my sore muscles and feeling quite rumpled. Realizing that I only had about twenty minutes to get ready, I decided to skip the shower and just wash up. Once I quickly finished in the bathroom, I dressed in my everyday clothes. An old, hand-me down t-shirt that I'd no doubt gotten from one of the boys, worn jeans, and ratty sneakers.  

I looked at my reflection in the mirror, turning this way and that, but nothing changed. I was still me. Thin, and tall, but yet not quite tall enough to be considered willowy. More gangly and awkward if anything. Long, oily looking black hair that had no real style and shape, mainly because I couldn't afford to keep one up. And worst of all, my creepy, unnerving blue eyes. I hated them most of all, and couldn't wait until I finished college, had a well-paying job, and could afford normal, brown colored contacts.

Sighing, I scooped up my backpack and gym bag, headed for the door, not wanting to miss the bus. But something made me pause with my hand on the door handle. That weird, prickly feeling that you get when someone is watching  you. Spinning around, I took in the small and cramped bedroom, which was, aside from me, empty. Walking cautiously to the single window, I peeked out into the alley below, surprised to see that their seemed to be a figure down there, leaning against the dirty brick wall. But I must've been seeing things. I had to have been, because when I blinked, he was gone, and the alley was empty.