A Child(s) is Born - Proýlogue

Silence.

Silence always follows a dramatic, major event. When someone is shot, the gun rings out and maybe the victim will shout in surprise and pain. Then silence. The calm before the storm.

So a husband's worry is understandable when he hears his wife call out in pain, and then everything went silent from a room where he has been forbidden to enter. 

"Master Richard," Alfred, the ever loyal butler and retired doctor said as he quietly left the room carrying a small, wailing bundle. The sound broke the eerie silence that had made me so nervous just moments before, and filled it with hope and promise. "Master Richard, you have a son, sir." He placed the small child in my arms.

Cradling my son, I felt so complete, so whole. Everything was right; my a beautiful wife, and newborn son. Wanting nothing more than to share it with the world, I sent out a massive group text, announcing the birth of my child to friends and family.

Everything was perfect.

Everything was grand, until a nerve-wracking, horrifying scream pierced the house. 

"What's wrong with her?" I demanded, attempting to shove my way into the room all while being gentle with the delicate cargo. "I need to see her."

"Sir, she's in a great deal of pain, and she didn't want you to see her this way. It's normal for a woman to have a few painful contractions after the birth. Let me go check on her. I'm sure Alexia is fi-"

Another scream.

"Don't you have someone in there with her?"

"Of course, sir. Two very capable nurses are with her as we speak. Now, if you would calm down, I'd like to go and see what's going on." Just as Alfred went to open the door, a terrified looking woman in scrubs burst through.

"Sir, the other woman... Cassie? She just disappeared after you exited the room. Vanished into thin air. Mrs. Grayson seems to be going into labor again. I can't calm her down."

After another excruciating hour, I was finally allowed to enter the room and see my wife. She was gazing at the shadows in the corner of the room, looking horrified an dazed. Alfred was cradling another small bundle wrapped in a pink blanket that wasn't making any sound.

"Is she..." I was too afraid to know that answer.

"She's alive, sir. The little one just doesn't seem to want to cry. She's breathing quite well. Would you like to hold her?"

Eagerly reaching for my second child, I held them both close to my chest, smiling contently when I realized that they both had my wife's eyes, and both of our coal-black hair. I stepped closer to the bed where the love of my life still rested, silent and dazed.

"Look, Lexi," I told her softly, leaning slightly so that she could see our children. "We made them. Me and you, babe." When she refused to look at me or them, I asked, "What's the matter?"

Slowly, she lifted her gaze to me, and I could see the absolute terror that lay in her immaculate blue eyes. "They know, Dick," she whispered, glancing down at our infant son. "They know, and they're coming for him."

Immediately knowing who 'they' were, I stiffened. "We have to get them out of here."

"Don't you see? They can find us. Once they know what to look for, they can find anything. His only hope is for us to stand and fight." She reached for the newest edition to our family and I handed the little baby girl over, watching as my wife cradled her. "The shadows betrayed her."

"Who?" I questioned.

"The woman," she replied. "That nurse who disappeared. She was a spy for them, and the shadows betrayed her when she used them to escape. She's gone straight to our enemies, and told them that we've had a son." Her blue orbs met my own briefly, then gazed back down at our little girl. "But they don't know about her."

------------------------------------------------------------

Tada!!! This is it guys! The beginning of hopefully something AMAZING! Pleasseee COMMENT AND VOTE! I am so excited to hear what you think. The next chapter will be up within the next few days:)