Chapter 10

I know, I know, I know. I'm basically the devil incarnate for not updating for so long. I really dont have any good excuses except that I've been lazy, a bad case of writers block, and I've read the last Mortal Instruments book, City of Heavenly Fire, and I honestly have no idea on how to deal with all the feels.

Anyways, I promise that I will be updating much more deligently, and that I'm going to do my best to finish this by the end of summer. THis chapter is pretty short, and I really need to work on making them longer, but this will hopefully quench your hunger until tomorrow (which is when I hope to be finished with the next chapter, but no promises).

I love you guys so so soooo much.

Here it is!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                                                               Chapter 10

                                                                  Astra

WHEN Gaidrian left me to attend to his business with our father, I went back to the bedroom I’d been given. I flopped down on the bed and sighed in boredom- even in a place like this, I couldn’t find anything to entertain me. I rolled over and perked up when I saw the box of books that Gaidrian had left me. I shuffled through them, trying to decide on one to read, and dug around until I pulled out an old leather-bound book from the bottom of the pile. I scrunched my eyebrows in confusion when I could make out a title. When I flipped to the first page, I mentally celebrated when I read to title on the inside- The Great Gatsby. It had always been a favorite of mine, and from the look of the book, it was one of Gaidrian’s too.

An hour later and I’d already gotten through almost half of the book, only to be suddenly thrown out of the world of Gatsby by a knock at the door. When I opened it I was greeted with Cain’s face.

“Hey,” he greeted with a jerk of his chin. “I’ve been told that I’m supposed to escort the Princess somewhere.”

I scowled. “Don’t call me that.”

“Of course, your Majesty.” He gestured toward the hallway and walked away with long strides, and I was forced to jog to keep up.

“Where are we going?”

“The kennels,” he replied, not looking at me. “Your brother’s orders.”

“Why do you let him boss you around?”

“I don’t.”

“Yes you do.”

He stopped abruptly causing me to bump into him. “Listen, your brother and I have known each other for a long time, longer than you for sure.” The dig hurt, but he didn’t seem to notice my wince. “We grew up together, and we respect each other. We’re partners. He’s just… under a lot of pressure with everything going on with your mom. I’m just trying to make things easier on him. Besides he’s my- look, there are things about our world that you don’t know or understand yet. So don’t question me.” And he set off down the hall again.